Who's the drummer?

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Who's the drummer?

Postby Teflon » 08 Jul 2021, 22:33

Anyone here know who the drummer is in the pic below? Hank appears to be playing a Fender (I think), so I'm guessing it's not Terry Smart (don't think it looks particularly like him anyway). I guess it would help if I know the occasion, but sadly that is also a mystery :( .

Cliff

Teflon

Re: Who's the drummer?

Postby UlrichS » 08 Jul 2021, 22:43

That's Laurie Jay.
UlrichS

Postby Teflon » 08 Jul 2021, 23:07

UlrichS wrote:That's Laurie Jay.

40 minutes for the answer - that's pretty darn impressive :D . Of course, you can guess my next question: who is Laurie Jay? Presumably Tony M was absent for some reason - illness perhaps?

Cliff

Edit: just did a quick Google and discovered that he was a: "British musician, producer and manager, died 2017. Started career as a drummer, played with The Shadows, The Echoes (1960-62), Dusty Springfield, Chuck Berry, Gene Vincent and Jerry Lee Lewis, also fronted Laurie Jay combo (1962-1965). Went on to manage Elkie Brooks, Billy Ocean and Shirley Bassey."

Do you happen to know the reason he was standing in for Tony?
Teflon

Postby Moderne » 09 Jul 2021, 03:25

http://www.shadowmusic.bdme.co.uk/viewt ... f=11&t=708

I knew it had been mentioned before - didn't know it was this long ago! You can tell it's early as Jet is still playing his Framus bass. Without checking, I think this was mentioned in Cliff's Me and My Shadows book - and possibly The Shadows by Themselves as well.
Moderne

Postby Teflon » 09 Jul 2021, 08:57

Brilliant! Thanks for finding that - I'd done a search, but hadn't picked up on that thread :) . I wonder what happened to Derek Fell, and if there are any photos of him playing with the band? Must have been an amazing experience for him.

Cliff
Teflon

Postby Arpeggio » 09 Jul 2021, 10:03

Incredibly....Tony really did simply (quite frequently!!) fail to turn up for engagements in huge theatres...resulting in the need for the Shads to desperately find Deps....sometimes at ultra - short notice. Despite various threats and, undoubtedly, heated arguments (for this extremely unprofessional attitude)..Tony just didn't seem to care. He stormed out, presumably before he would have been fired, in October, 1961 - with the Shadows already hitting the heights of their early fame.

Insofar as I am aware, Tony did not miss any TV Broadcasts / Recording Sessions / BBC Radio Broadcasts etc........BUT...if anyone knows different.....then please do tell. Hank & Bruce did mention Tony missing theatre shows to me several times......but never mentioned him missing those other types of events. ;) :)
Arpeggio

Postby JimN » 09 Jul 2021, 15:15

The late Laurie Joseph (professionally known as Laurie Jay) was fairly well-known on the London scene in the early 1960s and later.

His own group was The Laurie Jay Combo and they once had a season's spot on one of Associated-Rediffusion's childrens' magazine programmes. Probably not "Lucky Dip" or "Tuesday Rendezvous" (which featured Bert Weedon), but the Combo was featured on one song per show. I remember that the bassist had a distinctive instrument I was later able to identify as a Gibson EB-0 (making the period late 1962 or early 1963). They made several singles for EMI, though I'm not aware of any success for them.

As well as that, I have an idea that Laurie also had a role as a musical consultant for A-R (as, of course, did the rather better-known musician, arranger, conductor and critic, Steve Race). Steve famously hated rock and pop music. There was probably a consultancy gap to be filled there.

See:

https://www.thezoots.com/lauriejaytribute/
Last edited by JimN on 10 Jul 2021, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.
JimN

Postby StuartD » 09 Jul 2021, 18:30

Hi

He stood in when Tony had an appendicitis. He went on a tour with them to Scandanavia and Germany. It was their first tour abroad. October 1959

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Postby GoldenStreet » 10 Jul 2021, 19:17

Teflon wrote:Brilliant! Thanks for finding that - I'd done a search, but hadn't picked up on that thread :) . I wonder what happened to Derek Fell, and if there are any photos of him playing with the band? Must have been an amazing experience for him.

Cliff

I assume Derek Fell made just the one appearance with the Shads in Blackpool. Subsequently, he briefly replaced Ringo in Rory Storm and the Hurricanes after Ringo accepted an offer to join the Beat Brothers, backing Tony Sheridan in Hamburg in December 1961.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby Fenderman » 18 Jul 2021, 00:00

Arpeggio wrote:Incredibly....Tony really did simply (quite frequently!!) fail to turn up for engagements in huge theatres...resulting in the need for the Shads to desperately find Deps....sometimes at ultra - short notice. Despite various threats and, undoubtedly, heated arguments (for this extremely unprofessional attitude)..Tony just didn't seem to care. He stormed out, presumably before he would have been fired, in October, 1961 - with the Shadows already hitting the heights of their early fame.

Insofar as I am aware, Tony did not miss any TV Broadcasts / Recording Sessions / BBC Radio Broadcasts etc........BUT...if anyone knows different.....then please do tell. Hank & Bruce did mention Tony missing theatre shows to me several times......but never mentioned him missing those other types of events. ;) :)

I read somewhere Tony liked his bed - not something the rest of the Shadows had much time in!
Fenderman

Next

Return to The Main Board