My thoughts... Note: to Hank, Bruce, & John

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

My thoughts... Note: to Hank, Bruce, & John

Postby Rich Cowling » 05 May 2021, 17:24

I'm listening to Second Opinion at the moment and often do... these amazing tracks should be heard by the wider masses preferably live one more time... some won't know who Marvin Welch & Farrah are, yes are.....
Looking to the music gods.... There was no 'An Evening With' a one time only presentation, even 'In The Round'(theatre) finale, that I know of, is it really beyond the impossible to (re) launch this genius that only we few know of it seems....its kind of unfinished...there are so many media platforms that could facilitate... Stay safe everyone
Regards Richard.
Rich Cowling

Re: My thoughts... Note: to Hank, Bruce, & John

Postby dave robinson » 05 May 2021, 18:31

Now that would be a treat. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby rogera » 05 May 2021, 18:39

Those recordings are so very underrated - such a pity.
Regards - Roger
rogera

Postby Iain Purdon » 05 May 2021, 19:43

Actually Second Opinion was very highly rated by EMI engineers. I think they ranked it the second best recording they had made throughout the 1970s. I would love to hear the quadraphonic version they made.
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby StuartD » 06 May 2021, 12:22

dave robinson wrote:Now that would be a treat. :)

It certainly would Dave
StuartD

Postby drakula63 » 06 May 2021, 13:25

I always thought that Second Opinion was rated as 'the best'. I have the LP in its quad form, but have never played it on a quad player. It does sound good in stereo, if a little different.

The 'funny' thing is, if Marvin, Welch and Farrar reformed now for a one-off show, they could probably pack the 02 or at least Wembley Arena. Well, maybe not THIS year! I'm not joking either. Imagine Hank, Bruce, John with Brian on drums, Griff on bass and Warren on keys... Or maybe Alan Hawksahw on keys and Dave Richmond or Mo Foster on bass? Just think of how many people would pay to see that!
drakula63

Postby alewis41 » 06 May 2021, 17:39

John Farrar toured with Olivia after leaving the Shads but unlike Bruce and Hank he has rarely played live since those days. When I interviewed him for Tony Hoffman's Shadsfax special he said... "well I was always a disaster on stage - absolutely no stage presence. I'd be the one lurking behind the amps (laughs). I last played live in the late 70's backing Olivia but since then I've preferred to be in the studio".

Would be great if it happened!

Andrew
alewis41

Postby StuartD » 06 May 2021, 18:04

alewis41 wrote:John Farrar toured with Olivia after leaving the Shads but unlike Bruce and Hank he has rarely played live since those days. When I interviewed him for Tony Hoffman's Shadsfax special he said... "well I was always a disaster on stage - absolutely no stage presence. I'd be the one lurking behind the amps (laughs). I last played live in the late 70's backing Olivia but since then I've preferred to be in the studio".

Andrew

Hi Alan

His last live gig was with Olivia at Hull Bailey's. Just before they left for the states

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Postby Teflon » 06 May 2021, 22:39

alewis41 wrote:J......... "well I was always a disaster on stage - absolutely no stage presence. I'd be the one lurking behind the amps (laughs). .........".......

I'm surprised by that comment to be honest :shock: . I always thought he seemed quite at home on stage with Hank & Bruce, with just as much stage presence as them. Just goes to show how perceptions can differ.

Cliff
Teflon

Postby alewis41 » 07 May 2021, 00:04

StuartD wrote:
alewis41 wrote:John Farrar toured with Olivia after leaving the Shads but unlike Bruce and Hank he has rarely played live since those days. When I interviewed him for Tony Hoffman's Shadsfax special he said... "well I was always a disaster on stage - absolutely no stage presence. I'd be the one lurking behind the amps (laughs). I last played live in the late 70's backing Olivia but since then I've preferred to be in the studio".

Andrew

Hi Alan

His last live gig was with Olivia at Hull Bailey's. Just before they left for the states

Regards

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. I know that John and Pat toured Japan with Olivia in 1976 and I think that may have been his last tour. Last performance on stage I know about was a US TV Special Night of 100 Stars in 1990 where John played guitar when Olivia sang Hopelessly Devoted to You. That's on YouTube.

Even that was more than 30 years ago!

Andrew
alewis41

Next

Return to The Main Board