US Tour.

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

US Tour.

Postby bosunbob » 17 Jul 2020, 05:02

From watching a Jet Harris pay-for-view documentry down load recently, Jet mentions a fifteen State
tour of the US. Although not specifically mentioned, I guess that this was a Cliff Richard tour
with the Shadows backing Cliff.
I'm wondering, if site members here have any shareable information from this tour?
Press or magazine cuttings, itinerary or pix?
PLMK ;)
Cheers
Bruce G.
bosunbob

Re: US Tour.

Postby StuartD » 17 Jul 2020, 10:45

Hi

They did the tour in 1960.

The other acts were Bobby Rydell, Clyde McPhatter, Freddie Cannon and Johnny and the Hurricanes.

It was called the Biggest Show of Stars for 1960 and the compere was Harold Cromer.

Cliff flew back halfway through to appear on the Palladium Show, he was backed by a band with Brian Parker in it, whilst the Shadows remained on the tour but not performing.

One of the dates was in Lubbock where they met Buddy Holly's father.

There is some details about the Tour in the Book, The Shadows by Themselves, which was reprinted a few years ago

Hope this helps

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Postby iefje » 17 Jul 2020, 12:56

StuartD wrote:One of the dates was in Lubbock where they met Buddy Holly's father.

Years later, Hank told a joke about meeting Buddy Holly's father, in which Buddy Holly's father approaches Hank, puts his hand on Hank's shoulder and asks for Cliff's autograph! :D
iefje

Postby bosunbob » 17 Jul 2020, 14:00

A big help, Stuart.
Many thanks
Cheers.
Bruce G.
bosunbob

Postby bor64 » 18 Jul 2020, 16:02

The story goes, when Buddies father and Hank entered the stage ....the whole place went completely quiet.
It was about a year after Buddies death and quiet some people in the audience thought they lost there mind and Buddy walked on stage again.

Cheers Rob
bor64

Postby bosunbob » 20 Jul 2020, 00:59

Really? Or have you just made that up, Rob? ;)

Cheers,
Bruce G.
bosunbob

Postby RayL » 20 Jul 2020, 07:40

This is Bruce telling the story, from his autobiography (p.69):-

"In February 1960, during Cliff Richard's first tour of America, we appeared in Holly's home town of Lubbock, Texas, just a year after he had been killed.Ten thousand people packed into the arena to see the show.

By now, Hank was playing a Fender Stratocaster guitar and when this lean and lanky figure with the guitar and the horn-rimmed glasses bounced out on stage the whole place went silent. From the auditorium and in the distance Hank looked exactly like Buddy Holly. It was an unnerving experience and a very weird feeling.

After the show, Buddy's father, Laurence Holley came backstage to meet us all. He was a lovely man and quite taken with Hank"

Ray
RayL

Postby bosunbob » 21 Jul 2020, 00:12

I've located a snippet showing a Set List for the 1960 North American tour.
This included two dates in Canada - Toronto and Kitchener 25 and 26 January.
Snow country - keeping warm must have been and effort at the time

Moving on to the Set List.

1: Thirty Days
2: My Babe
3: A Voice In The Wilderness
4: Living Doll
5: A Whole Lotta Shaking Going On.

I need to say that the Set List information here came from a Shadows FB group and
I believe it is unverifyed, but looked legit..

Cheers.
Bruce.
bosunbob

Postby bosunbob » 22 Jul 2020, 07:57

Screenshot_20200722-180533_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200722-180533_Facebook.jpg (25.01 KiB) Viewed 6714 times
Bruce Welch and Tony Meehan.
An image from the 1960 Nth American tour.
bosunbob

Postby GoldenStreet » 22 Jul 2020, 18:45

Only Cliff, Cliff Richards, that is, gets a mention at the bottom of this bill for the 24th January in Scranton...

USA60.JPG
USA60.JPG (66.04 KiB) Viewed 6650 times

Bill
GoldenStreet

Next

Return to The Main Board