book

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

book

Postby tullichculter » 13 Jul 2020, 12:43

Anybody got any info on a book called The Shadows Diamond Anniversary on amazon
tullichculter

Re: book

Postby bosunbob » 14 Jul 2020, 04:22

I found this page on Amazon. The book has SRO.
From the title, it seems like a good read though.
Cheers, Bruce.
Screenshot_20200714-152407yiviufyifyt_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200714-152407yiviufyifyt_Chrome.jpg (25.17 KiB) Viewed 9145 times
bosunbob

Postby drakula63 » 14 Jul 2020, 09:12

Looks a bit dodgy to me. 65 pages and they can't seem to decide whether it was written by Arthur Miller or Harry Lime! My guess would be neither! Anyway...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shadows-Harry- ... 2DXC2KDTVE
drakula63

Postby bosunbob » 15 Jul 2020, 10:46

drakula63 wrote:Looks a bit dodgy to me. 65 pages and they can't seem to decide whether it was written by Arthur Miller or Harry Lime! My guess would be neither! Anyway...

At 65 pages, this publication is probably not much more than a pamphlet, and doesn't appear to
be very well written.
Probably a must to avoid.

Cheers
Bruce.
bosunbob

Postby bosunbob » 15 Jul 2020, 10:59

drakula63 wrote:Looks a bit dodgy to me. 65 pages and they can't seem to decide whether it was written by Arthur Miller or Harry Lime! My guess would be neither! Anyway...

At 65 pages, this publication is probably not much more than a pamphlet, and doesn't appear to
be very well written.
Probably a must to avoid.

Cheers
Bruce.
bosunbob

Postby George Geddes » 15 Jul 2020, 16:01

Only one review which says it is overpriced. I suspect that it's one of those Internet cut and paste jobs, printed on demand.

Lulu.com is a company providing e-book and print self-publishing facilities.

George
George Geddes

Postby Iain Purdon » 17 Jul 2020, 10:07

I have obtained a copy. It seems to be, as George says, an internet cut-and-paste job, with unattributed sources. I even recognised something I had written myself! I skimmed through it and there was nothing new you wouldn't find by searching the ShadowMusic website.

There is a respectable bibliography listing books that are all worth reading. It has an ISBN number which does not show up in the ISBN database. It has been produced by these people https://www.ingramcontent.com/publishers/print

I guess it's been put together by a knowledgeable enthusiast. OK for a coffee table.
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby bosunbob » 20 Jul 2020, 01:17

A private publication can be OK.
However, a venture by a fan who is poorly resourced with a lack of cash and nothing new to add to
the sum total of knowledge that already exists ends up to be nothing much more than a vanity project.
In this instance- a trap for young players can lead to a purchasing disappointment.

In the words of great men and women - I'm out ;)

Cheers.
Bruce G.
bosunbob

Postby drakula63 » 20 Jul 2020, 09:03

Since I am reckless and irresponsible with money... I've ordered a copy. What's the worst that can happen...?
drakula63

Postby GoldenStreet » 20 Jul 2020, 14:00

drakula63 wrote:Since I am reckless and irresponsible with money... I've ordered a copy. What's the worst that can happen...?

Not discover anything you didn't already know? ;)

Bill
GoldenStreet

Next

Return to The Main Board