Brian May playing FBI

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Brian May playing FBI

Postby jase » 23 Apr 2020, 07:46

A little video of Brian May playing fbi at home. It’s not going to be everyone’s taste but undoubtedly his words at the end show the respect he has for the Shads.

[youtube] https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hDFeDBXY190[/youtube]
jase

Re: Brian May playing FBI

Postby Tigerdaisy » 23 Apr 2020, 09:12

Oh dear... Sounds way out of tune. I think you need a Strat to play this, although FBI is a tricky number to get the sound right. The sound on the original is very clipped with little sustain which manages to give it that very aggressive sound.
Tigerdaisy

Postby bazmusicman » 23 Apr 2020, 09:38

Tigerdaisy wrote:Oh dear... Sounds way out of tune. I think you need a Strat to play this, although FBI is a tricky number to get the sound right. The sound on the original is very clipped with little sustain which manages to give it that very aggressive sound.

That's exactly what I thought.
As someone said on another site, 'play what your best at Brian'.

Regards,
Baz.
bazmusicman

Postby Stu's Dad » 23 Apr 2020, 13:16

Brian May has recorded FBI on a Shadows tribute album called Twang. It's not going to sound like Hank, that's the idea. There are some big names on the album and Hank appears himself. I don't think he's out of tune, I think he's just not used to playing with the tremolo arm in his hand.

Len
Stu's Dad

Postby Iain Purdon » 23 Apr 2020, 16:20

I like that video very much. It's the Brian May we know. He's showing his respect for Hank and Bruce. And he's done it his way - at home. I wouldn't dream of criticising it. There a number of C# notes that Hank would have played as C natural. But this isn't the Shads. It's a rock star from a different field. Is it what they call an 'omage these days? Anyway, thanks Brian!

And thanks for posting jase :)
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby Moderne » 24 Apr 2020, 18:26

Thanks Jase, I thought that was great! What a nice guy Brian May is!!
Moderne

Postby Hank2k » 24 Apr 2020, 19:28

enjoyed that Jase thanks for sharing!
Hank2k

Postby dave robinson » 24 Apr 2020, 22:09

Great stuff and I would never dream of criticising this man as he can play everybody around here under the table. I have the utmost respect for him and his work and he has a lot of respect for Hank, which is why he played it in his own inimitable style. I can tell you that my own Brian May guitar can get as close as you'd ever want to a Strat sound, because basically that's what it is, a three single coil pickup design with tremolo. :)

thus a demonstration of The Savage https://youtu.be/Sy2XJCecW3A
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Return to The Main Board