The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Postby drakula63 » 09 Mar 2020, 15:21

I'll admit to being more than a little disappointed that Brian Bennett's long awaited autobiography still hasn't appeared. He was writing it way back in 2012, so surely it's finished now? Maybe he's waiting for something BIG to happen, that he can't yet talk about, to round it off? Whatever the reason... please, let's see it soon!

Speaking of 'something big'... hopefully not long now before the Shadows documentary on BBC Four. I think they said 'summer' and as it's now 'spring', summer is just around the corner! Personally, I can't wait! Maybe we'll see something released (or published?) to coincide with this? It would be a shame not to take advantage of this great opportunity.

Apart from that, another 'Shadows at the BBC' album would be nice, as would the complete '1967-1980' CD box set. So, there's definitely potential for 2020 to be a great year for the Shads... and I haven't even mentioned Cliff's 80th birthday tour!!!

:D
drakula63

Re: 2020

Postby bor64 » 09 Mar 2020, 21:02

All valid points!
The book of Brian....seriously waiting for something big happens for about 8 years???
If I recollect correctly back then it was mentioned, some parts had to be re-written before it could be published and who knows to include something special in the near future....
Sounds to me that Brian wrote something to honest and perhaps somebody got his knickers in a twist about it....
Those special moments got past several times, without any announcement....
2009/10 was very special, they did go out with a bang.... please lets keep it that way and grand the boys their well deserved retirement!
In the 80's the shads joked about a zimmer frame tour, do we really want that?
They had their personal health problems in the past.
Back in 2009/10 they announced earlier they would tour Europe-Australia-Africa- the far east, but the last came never to full fruition....

Cheers Rob
bor64

Postby drakula63 » 10 Mar 2020, 14:32

No, I don't believe there is any chance of a full-scale, 'proper' live reunion, but I wouldn't bet against Bruce and Brian getting up with Cliff in October and maybe doing a couple of songs. Hank, I suspect, will sit this one out! Mind you, if Cliff tours Australia, I'm sure Hank will get up and do a song or two as he usually does.

I remember being at Brian's house in, I think 2012 (could have been 2013) and I asked him about his book. "It's all in there," he replied, pointing to a filing cabinet of anywhere between five and ten trays. I suspect that it was a HUGE book! And that was just the first 70 years! I hope it'll see the light of day before too long as I am sure it'll be a riveting read. As someone who has written two or three books myself (and indeed am writing another one as I speak), I would offer to help him, but I gather Chris Welch was involved, and perhaps still is, and so it seems that Brian's memoirs are in good hands. As Brian has just turned 80, maybe this year will be the year we finally get to read it? Let's hope so.
drakula63

Postby Fenderman » 11 Mar 2020, 19:13

I suspect legal issues or some stories perhaps some people didn't want to be told as the reason for Brian's book being delayed, i've actually gave up on it ever coming out.
But, a second Shadows at the BBC CD would be nice, or another outtakes CD, the upcoming Shadows documentary as well and the 1967-1980 box set (not been given the nod yet).
A tour will never happen, i long accepted that but we have a big back catalogue to enjoy.
Fenderman

Postby howarddobson » 12 Mar 2020, 08:43

Sounds like a brilliant book - particularly as it sounds like there will be a lot of rare pictures.

I’m still campaigning for a new album - Hank and’ Brian are hardly retired with their new albums every couple of years and I’m sure Bruce would love to contribute to an album. They’ve done the final tour - let’s have the final album.
howarddobson

Postby Iain Purdon » 12 Mar 2020, 15:33

howarddobson wrote:They’ve done the final tour - let’s have the final album

Another one? I think we've had that!

In 2004 they released the Life Story album to tie in with the final tour. It consisted of that one new composition, plus a re-release of existing re-recordings.

Then in 2009 there was the "Reunited" CD with Cliff to go with that tour. For that, they released a recording of old hits re-performed for the tour, plus one new cover, Singing the Blues, using the arrangement Dave Edmunds had done 30 years earlier.

Since then there’s been Brian’s "Shadowing John Barry" album in 2016. He, Warren and Griff plus two one-off tracks: Hank and Bruce on The Appointment and Licorice on Midnight Cowboy.

And that's it! I don't expect any more. They've done us proud :)
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Return to The Main Board