Brian Locking has died

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Re: Brian Locking has died

Postby terryD » 09 Oct 2020, 15:43

RIP Brian
I recall some of the laughs we had at the Shaddics do's in Blackpool, a lovely man, God bless.

Terry Devon
terryD

Postby Fenderman » 09 Oct 2020, 20:03

I'm currently playing The Shad's 1962-63 recordings he was on, having a drink.
Gone but certainly not forgotten.
RIP Brian.
Fenderman

Postby Derek Mowbray » 09 Oct 2020, 20:24

Difficult to know what to say, Brian only had a short time in The Shadows but he played on seven hit singles ,a couple of EPs and was featured on two LPs ,had he stayed he could have had a long career with The Shadows.
Derek Mowbray

Postby russ » 10 Oct 2020, 16:29

Very Sad news , thank you for the music Brian, another chapter closes, R.I.P. Guess one of the facts of life being the oldest pop group in Britain you will lose your heroes first. Nothing to replace them in modern music to my mind so makes the loss felt twice as much.Wonder if Barry Gibson will pay tribute with "Four Of Our Shadows Are Missing"? Particularly as Licorice was featured on the other three albums.
russ

Postby Fenderman » 10 Oct 2020, 22:34

I'm assume Hank, Bruce and Brian Bennett will know, have they said anything publicly?
Fenderman

Postby RayL » 11 Oct 2020, 07:45

Everyone will have their own memories of meeting Brian. My own is two parts. Firstly at the Shadows Convention at Tilburg in April 2005 when Brian was the special guest. The Secrets were also on the bill and we chatted to Brian over the course of the weekend. Secondly, a year and five months later in September 2006 at the unveiling of the plaque outside the 2Is coffee bar in Old Compton Street. I was there with my video camera on my shoulder and Brian, recognising me, gave me a cheery wave and a greeting.
One of the world's good people who realised later in life that although his time with The Shadows was quite short, it was a time when they recorded some of their most memorable music and he could provide a link to that time for the fans. Importantly, those later appearances were not of the 'turn up and sign autographs' type. No, he was there on the stage recreating his 1960s performances (and some of Jet's and John's too). A sad loss.
Ray
RayL

Postby nivramarvin » 11 Oct 2020, 10:02

At a Shadows Convention 2014 in Verden (Germany) he walked through the rows of spectators and greeted everyone with a handshake. I still feel honored about that today.
nivramarvin

Postby Dave54 » 11 Oct 2020, 15:20

In reply to Fenderman

Warren put his dad's post's on Twttiter, a couple below

We were room mates in the 50's and shared a tiny flat with 2 single beds, a gas meter for heating and to get to anything you had to climb over the beds the bass and 5 drum cases. He was one of the funniest blokes I had ever met.

warren bennett
@warren_bennett
·
Oct 8
Then I joined The Shadows in 1961. When Jet Harris left the band I suggested Licorice joined us. He did but only stayed for a couple of years. He gave up full time work as a bass player and moved to North Wales where he lived and did part-time gigs playing the harmonica.

warren bennett
@warren_bennett
·
Oct 8
We played with Vince Taylor, all the Larry Parnes boys, Eddie Cochran and Gene Vincent. We had a top 20 hit with a band we formed, The Krew Kats, with Chet Atkins' Trambone. Jim Sullivan was our lead guitarist. We then started doing pit work with Tommy Steele.

warren bennett
@warren_bennett
·
Oct 8
I have known him since the 50s where we were the bass & drums at the famous 2 I's coffee bar in Old Compton Street in London's Soho. We were resident there for 2 years then joined Marty Wilde's Wild Cats for a couple of years.

warren bennett
@warren_bennett
·
Oct 8
I’m copying this from my Dad. He posted it this morning. God bless you, Lic.
Red heart x

Thursday 8th October 2020
It is with great sadness I have to tell you all that my dear friend Brian 'Licorice' Locking died this morning.
Dave54

Postby iefje » 13 Oct 2020, 13:43

I've just come across the following interview, which Brian did in Italy. A great interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mOIYy6HItM&feature=emb_logo

Another great one is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QIJbGMrhK4 Jet and Brian remembering the 2I's coffee bar.
iefje

Postby MeBHank » 14 Oct 2020, 08:42

For me it's like a gate has broken overnight. For the last few days I haven't been able to listen to Brian's music or watch videos of him playing. I've been up all night watching every performance of his I can find on YouTube. I still can't take in the fact that he's gone.
Justin Daish
MeBHank

PreviousNext

Return to The Main Board