Brian Locking has died

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Re: Brian Locking has died

Postby Stratpack » 09 Oct 2020, 10:52

Very sad news. Remember very well having a chat with him outside the London Palladium. Condolences to his family and friends.

Mike
Stratpack

Postby GoldenStreet » 09 Oct 2020, 11:01

drakula63 wrote:Just found this, published back in July...

http://www.covmm.co.uk/2016/2020/07/07/ ... e-locking/

An interesting read, but there are one or two questionable points included.

Do we know for certain Brian's actual year of birth? This article states 1940, and in Wikipedia it is given as 1938. According to the Grantham Journal tribute he was 82, indicating he was born in 1937!

Apart from the erroneous harmonica reference to Detroit, Brian's only composer credit, to the best of my knowledge, is the group composition, Blue Shadows, from the same Blackpool session in August 1963, as his celebrated Dakota.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby Terry B » 09 Oct 2020, 11:39

Wikipedia gives birth date as 22 December 1938. This would make him 81 years of age. Civil birth is shown as Bedworth first quarter of 1939, which makes sense as the birth would probably only registered after Christmas 1938. Mothers maiden name Eames. Hope this helps to resolve it.
Terry B

Postby Iain Purdon » 09 Oct 2020, 13:02

GoldenStreet wrote:
drakula63 wrote:Brian's only composer credit, to the best of my knowledge, is the group composition, Blue Shadows, from the same Blackpool session in August 1963, as his celebrated Dakota.

He alse has an arrangement credit for This Hammer (another Blackpool recording) and I presume would also be credited as composer for Licorice, although it was not commercially released.
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby iefje » 09 Oct 2020, 13:24

Iain Purdon wrote:He alse has an arrangement credit for This Hammer (another Blackpool recording) and I presume would also be credited as composer for Licorice, although it was not commercially released.

The track "Licorice" or sometimes spelled "Liquorice" has been commercially and legally issued on the recent Polish CD "F.B.I." or shouldn't that particular CD be regarded as commercial or legal?
iefje

Postby iefje » 09 Oct 2020, 13:29

By the way, yesterday, as a tribute to Brian, I played along on bass to The Shadows' "Blue Shadows", "Dance On", "Round And Round", "Foot Tapper", "Shazam" and "This Hammer".
iefje

Postby Iain Purdon » 09 Oct 2020, 13:48

iefje wrote:The track "Licorice" or sometimes spelled "Liquorice" has been commercially and legally issued on the recent Polish CD "F.B.I." or shouldn't that particular CD be regarded as commercial or legal?

A question for the experts!

Since the subject has come up, yes, there are two spellings but the one Brian used was "Licorice."

On a personal note, the last time I saw Brian (at Warwick Shads club) he discovered my wife was unwell and insisted on writing a note of good wishes for me to take home to her. He signed it Brian (Licorice).

That's the man he was.
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby GoldenStreet » 09 Oct 2020, 13:50

iefje wrote:
Iain Purdon wrote:He alse has an arrangement credit for This Hammer (another Blackpool recording) and I presume would also be credited as composer for Licorice, although it was not commercially released.

The track "Licorice" or sometimes spelled "Liquorice" has been commercially and legally issued on the recent Polish CD "F.B.I." or shouldn't that particular CD be regarded as commercial or legal?

Indeed, Ivo, good call.. It's so recent, it didn't come to mind in the historical context of Brian's time in the Shads.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby shadowriter » 09 Oct 2020, 14:37

So sad. RIP Brian. Thank you for the music.
Norman
shadowriter

Postby bor64 » 09 Oct 2020, 15:04

Very sad news indeed!
RIP Brian, thanks for the great music, your warm genuine interest in other people and your off stage banter.
The times we talked with you on many occasions my wife Anja & myself will cherish it forever!

Anja&Rob
bor64

PreviousNext

Return to The Main Board