Marvin, Welch & Farrar At The BBC

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Re: Marvin, Welch & Farrar At The BBC

Postby Fenderman » 02 May 2021, 23:41

I would also certainly buy a copy.
Fenderman

Postby UlrichS » 04 May 2021, 15:22

Reply from Cherry Red:

Hi Ulrich,
Thank you for your email to Cherry Red.
We are looking into this as a possible reissue project. Nothing is confirmed at this point.
With best wishes
Tim Madgwick @ Cherry Red
UlrichS

Postby Fenderman » 04 May 2021, 15:37

We'll wait with baited breath......
Fenderman

Postby Arpeggio » 05 May 2021, 11:40

Bruce apparently has absolutely no recollection of the BBC / TOTP sessions whatsoever. However....he has requested that copies be sent to him...so that he can listen to them. I think that is a very positive sign. If he is happy with the broadcast performances then (IMHO) he is highly likely to approve such a project. The ball will then be firmly in the Cherry Red court. With Bruce's (likely) approval allied to the feedback they have received from fans / collectors....I would say that the signs are very encouraging. :D
Arpeggio

Postby Fenderman » 05 May 2021, 13:14

It's probably listed elsewhere on here but what tracks (and when) did they record at the BBC as M, W & F?
Fenderman

Postby Arpeggio » 05 May 2021, 15:38

MW&F did 3 BBC sessions. The tracks still reside in the BBC Archives.

18th January 1971: Faithful / You're Burning Bridges / Throw Down A Line / My Home Town

30th June 1971: Silvery Rain / Lady Of The Morning / Brownie Kentucky

March 16th 1972: Marmaduke / Strike A Light / Mr Sun / Lonesome Mole

Bests.....Rob
Arpeggio

Postby Fenderman » 05 May 2021, 20:21

What they could also include is the performances from 'It's Cliff' if they were live recordings.
Fenderman

Postby Arpeggio » 06 May 2021, 11:33

Knowing Bruce...I would think it is doubtful. No Master Tape recordings exist of anything else (lots of 'off - air' recordings & some are pretty good as regards sound quality). The main problem is that Bruce is a perfectionist and a stickler for 'quality control' (his own). It's not impossible...but I would say unlikely.
Arpeggio

Postby drakula63 » 06 May 2021, 13:18

All sounds encouraging. 11 tracks would be acceptable, maybe release it as an LP with a 5/6 split? That would be cool.
drakula63

Postby Iain Purdon » 06 May 2021, 18:40

Arpeggio wrote:Knowing Bruce...I would think it is doubtful. No Master Tape recordings exist of anything else (lots of 'off - air' recordings & some are pretty good as regards sound quality). The main problem is that Bruce is a perfectionist and a stickler for 'quality control' (his own). It's not impossible...but I would say unlikely.

I’m glad to hear it. If something has passed the Bruce test it’ll be worth hearing. If it hasn’t it may not be.
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Previous

Return to The Main Board