Dance with the Shadows

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Re: Dance with the Shadows

Postby Iain Purdon » 28 Apr 2021, 10:18

JimN wrote:It's actually easy to make improved stereo mixes from original stereo versions.

Let me see...

An out-of-copyright recording, such as Guitar Tango... have a listen to it in stereo (pref on headphones and familiarise yourself with the sound picture... then I'll post a link to a reworked version...

Great. That would be very interesting to hear, especially if you can make the bass more audible!
I'm not sure about the copyright point though. If Guitar Tango was released in July 1962, will it not still be in copyright until July 2032?
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby GoldenStreet » 28 Apr 2021, 13:07

Iain Purdon wrote:
JimN wrote:It's actually easy to make improved stereo mixes from original stereo versions.

Let me see...

An out-of-copyright recording, such as Guitar Tango... have a listen to it in stereo (pref on headphones and familiarise yourself with the sound picture... then I'll post a link to a reworked version...

Great. That would be very interesting to hear, especially if you can make the bass more audible!
I'm not sure about the copyright point though. If Guitar Tango was released in July 1962, will it not still be in copyright until July 2032?

Some time back, the original unreleased version of Guitar Tango, recorded with Jet just prior to his departure, was available on YouTube, seemingly now removed. If I recall correctly, his bass part too was more or less inaudible.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby JimN » 28 Apr 2021, 18:19

Iain Purdon wrote:

Let me see...

No. UK record releases up to and until 31st December 1962 are out of copyright because subject to the original fifty year rule and not to the seventy year rule (if that were to apply, the law would have had to be changed retrospectively, which is actually a Human Rights no-no).

This includes Jet Harris's first two solo singles, The Beatles' Love Me Do, The Shadows' Dance On! and Cliff's The Next Time / Bachelor Boy.
JimN

Postby JimN » 28 Apr 2021, 18:27

OK, here's the track (as an mp3).

It's best if you have already listened to the original stereo version - preferably on headphones - and have familiarised yourself with the layout of the soundpicture - the positions of drums, bass, guitars and (in the second half, the orchestra).

After you've done that, listen (again, on ' phones) to this: https://soundcloud.com/jnugent/reworked-tango-stereo-picture-changed
JimN

Postby anniv 63 » 28 Apr 2021, 21:36

Hi Jim
Says on link that it is not available maybe moved?

Mike
anniv 63

Postby JimN » 29 Apr 2021, 01:52

anniv 63 wrote:Hi Jim
Says on link that it is not available maybe moved?
Mike

What a pain those audio-upload sites have become. And they used to be so useful.

OK, no streaming (you'll have to download the 7Mb file and open it in a media player app or wav editor), but the recording can be accessed at:

https://mega.nz/file/xItWWQyQ#RZ_-TZeJYLpweP5S-2kxT2XfW7Ut4GFCZu_wjk4eMHo

PS: On checking, I now see that you CAN stream the audio file. I still recommend headphones.
JimN

Postby Alan Taylor » 29 Apr 2021, 11:37

As a certain (in)famous producer said: "Back to Mono!"
Alan Taylor

Postby howarddobson » 03 May 2021, 07:24

One other thing about this album that’s interesting is the title. I think it’s a good title but in retrospect I’ve never really thought of the Shads as a group you dance to. In the same way you don’t really surf to the shadows, to quote the US release. A positive sounding title though and a nice cover.
howarddobson

Postby Teflon » 03 May 2021, 09:35

howarddobson wrote:One other thing about this album that’s interesting is the title. I think it’s a good title but in retrospect I’ve never really thought of the Shads as a group you dance to. In the same way you don’t really surf to the shadows, to quote the US release. A positive sounding title though and a nice cover.

The group image on the album cover has always put me in mind of the "With The Beatles" album cover, with its side lit portraits of each band member. Title is not a million miles away either. I've often wondered if it was from the same designer.

Cliff
Teflon

Postby GoldenStreet » 03 May 2021, 12:48

Teflon wrote:The group image on the album cover has always put me in mind of the "With The Beatles" album cover, with its side lit portraits of each band member. Title is not a million miles away either. I've often wondered if it was from the same designer.

Cliff

Certainly the two are similar in style, but different photographers: David Steen (Shadows) and Robert Freeman (Beatles).

Bill
GoldenStreet

PreviousNext

Return to The Main Board