Brian Locking has died

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Re: Brian Locking has died

Postby martcaster » 08 Oct 2020, 18:25

Along with David, Terry and Chris, I had the enormous pleasure and privilege of accompanying 'Lic' at so many venues in the UK and in Holland and Germany. The overriding memory is of (sometimes uncontrollable) laughter and revelling in the music. There was nothing 'starry' about Brian; what you saw was what you got, from day one. I'm so glad there are so many video clips of him playing with so many of us. What great memories....to have played with one of The Shads!! Stuff of teenage dreams! I'll miss swapping daft jokes with him and singing 'Summer Holiday' in restaurants "Join in if you know it!" But mostly I'll miss that huge grin as he turned round and gave the 'thumbs-up'. I have a clip of us doing 'Bo Diddley' with him in Scarborough. If the Moderators allow I'll dig it out.
Goodbye, old mate. Take your ease in the presence of The Lord.
martcaster

Postby Monty » 08 Oct 2020, 18:53

RIP Brian - a great bass player and a real asset to The Shadows performing on two UK number one hits 'Dance On' and 'Foot Tapper' plus other classic hits in addition to great album tracks, B sides etc...Brian achieved alot with The Shads in his short but so memorable time in the group and of course he will always be with the band and Cliff in the film 'Summer Holiday'...besides being such a much loved and admired member of The Shadows core band membership and of The Shadows fandom 'family' 8-) 8-)

Only recently on the Steve Hoffman music forum I was posting pointing out to American music fans their key influence on so many others and advancing The Shadows case for LONG overdue induction into that American Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - considering SO MANY already inducted bands and musical figures cite The Shadows as being THE early influence upon them etc

- Hank, Bruce, Jet, Tony, Brian Bennett, Brian Locking, John Rostill and John Farrar were the eight main Shadows 'core members' I felt to be deserving of induction...

I only hope that in the not too distant future that might happen...and Brian Locking along with the guys would hopefully then get the overdue recognition he and they all so richly deserve from the international music community ...

I shall play the classic 'Dakota' featuring Brian's wonderful harmonica work and bass guitar tonight as my personal tribute to a great musician and much loved and admired man - Thanks 'Licorice' ! 8-)
Monty

Postby Phil McGarrick » 08 Oct 2020, 19:40

RIP Brian - Thank you for the music and you great Bass playing on our CD.. We all will miss you... Phil
Phil McGarrick

Postby Fenderman » 08 Oct 2020, 19:41

This is a very sad day. My condolences to his family.
RIP Brian.
Fenderman

Postby chas » 08 Oct 2020, 20:24

A true gentleman - a pleasure to have known him - RIP & condolences to his family.

Chas.
chas

Postby abel » 08 Oct 2020, 20:27

May God receives his wonderful soul on high.

Abel
abel

Postby Didier » 08 Oct 2020, 20:46

Very sad news. I have met him several times at Shadows meetings in France and Switzerland, and he was a very nice man, always willing to play with anyone asking him.

Didier
Didier

Postby Kevin Wooten » 08 Oct 2020, 21:06

My heart was filled with great sadness to hear Brian has died. My condolences to Babs, Dave and all his Family.
Heinz Becker from Bad Wunnenberg, Germany also sends his condolences to the Family.

Brian was a firm favourite at the Shadow Music Conventions in Verden, Germany.

It was a privilege to have know Brian. Thank you for the Music but most of all for being a wonderful friend.

RIP Brian.

Kevin Wooten. Heinz Becker.
Kevin Wooten

Postby Tab » 08 Oct 2020, 21:30

May I add my condolences. A true gentleman and a great musician. Very much a part of the legend. A sad day indeed.
Tab

Postby drakula63 » 09 Oct 2020, 09:46

Just found this, published back in July...

http://www.covmm.co.uk/2016/2020/07/07/ ... e-locking/
drakula63

PreviousNext

Return to The Main Board