The Shadows At Sixty

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Re: The Shadows At Sixty

Postby iefje » 04 May 2020, 12:10

chippy71 wrote:
UlrichS wrote:
P.G.M.G. wrote:... Does anyone know which numbers The Shadows(without Cliff) did play on The Event in 1989? ...

The Shadows: Riders In The Sky – Atlantis – Mountains Of The Moon –Theme From The Deer Hunter – Foot Tapper – Wonderful Land – Apache – F.B.I.

I wonder if it was recorded but just never released?

I think the reason had something to do with disagreements over The Shadows' payment regarding these performances.
iefje

Postby drakula63 » 04 May 2020, 12:39

I think the reason had something to do with disagreements over The Shadows' payment regarding these performances.

If so, time the bury the hatchet and get it out there on DVD and CD. "Cliff Richard and the Shadows Live at Wembley Stadium" would be a HUGE seller.
drakula63

Postby Alan Taylor » 04 May 2020, 12:46

My understanding is that there was no provision for The Shadows to receive any royalties so their performances were not included.
Alan Taylor

Postby chippy71 » 04 May 2020, 14:04

Its awful, 8 shads tunes us fans would love to hear, i would buy the dvd for sure.
chippy71

Postby Vincent » 04 May 2020, 18:01

GoldenStreet wrote:
drakula63 wrote:
By the way; did anyone notice how good the weather was in all the interview clips (and I don't just mean those featuring Hank and John!!!). And I was interested to see that Pete Townshend had a harpischord in the room in which he and Bruce had their chat. Don't see many of those these days. Perhaps it came with the house?
:D

Chez Townshend, in particular, looks a luxurious pile (I don't know exactly its location) in, as you say, lovely sunny conditions, rather like Port Wenn where the sun never fails to shine!

Bill

I watched again the chat between Pete Townsend & Bruce. I had never known Pete's feelings about 'Apache' and how it 'woke him up' the Who , as far as I know, never did instrumentals, but maybe that didn't matter.
Vincent

Postby GoldenStreet » 04 May 2020, 19:18

Vincent wrote:
GoldenStreet wrote:
drakula63 wrote:
By the way; did anyone notice how good the weather was in all the interview clips (and I don't just mean those featuring Hank and John!!!). And I was interested to see that Pete Townshend had a harpischord in the room in which he and Bruce had their chat. Don't see many of those these days. Perhaps it came with the house?
:D

Chez Townshend, in particular, looks a luxurious pile (I don't know exactly its location) in, as you say, lovely sunny conditions, rather like Port Wenn where the sun never fails to shine!

Bill

I watched again the chat between Pete Townsend & Bruce. I had never known Pete's feelings about 'Apache' and how it 'woke him up' the Who , as far as I know, never did instrumentals, but maybe that didn't matter.

Pete Townshend probably developed into one of the finest rock rhythm guitarists, particularly on 12 and 6-string acoustic. Think of Substitute and Pinball Wizard as just two examples. The Welch inspiration?

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby Fenderman » 04 May 2020, 20:05

It looks like Bruce and Pete are good pals, seemed at ease chatting about the old days.
I've never heard Bruce swear either until he was talking about when Tony left the band.
Fenderman

Postby russ » 05 May 2020, 13:40

Just did a search online and found a website for Broadcast magazine, saying 800,000 watched the documentary, making it the third most watched programme on BBC4 this year so far. Don’t know if this includes iPlayer views as you have to subscribe to read the full article, can’t keep a good group down BBC!
russ

Postby drakula63 » 05 May 2020, 14:11

russ wrote:Just did a search online and found a website for Broadcast magazine, saying 800,000 watched the documentary, making it the third most watched programme on BBC4 this year so far. Don’t know if this includes iPlayer views as you have to subscribe to read the full article, can’t keep a good group down BBC!

That's good news. These figures WILL increase as they add more (called Consolidated) after a week - meaning all those who recorded it and watched it within 7 days.

P.S. Surely this MUST mean that it was the most watched programme on BBC FOUR last week? It would be incredible if the only two programmes to beat it this year were also broadcast last week!
drakula63

Postby JimN » 05 May 2020, 18:20

Tone wrote:I'm wondering about the title. The extract from the Cliff site quoted by Unsospero mentions 'they celebrate 60 years since their inception.' That being the case, why wasn't the documentary aired in 2018 or, if you wish to be pedantic and take it from the year the band changed its name, 2019?

Is it possible that it's been 'in the can' for the last couple of years and has been brought out because of the lack of new programmes due to the Covid crisis? If that is so, had it not been for the crisis it might never have been aired at all.

Just a thought!

Tony

The programme was made only towards the end of 2019 (it was mentioned out in the fan world at the time). I'm sure the title was chose because it sounds better than "The Shadows at 61"!
JimN

PreviousNext

Return to The Main Board