The Shadows At Sixty

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Re: The Shadows At Sixty

Postby GoldenStreet » 03 May 2020, 13:32

MeBHank wrote:
drakula63 wrote:Review of the programme here... https://theartsdesk.com/tv/shadows-sixt ... -innocence

The person who wrote that doesn't understand the meaning of 'review'. It's not a review, its a summary - a poor one.

The author of the 'review'...

https://theartsdesk.com/users/liz-thomson

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby Fenderman » 03 May 2020, 21:32

Just watched the documentary and enjoyed it immensely. Some of the footage i've never seen before - the Feeling Fine footage was interesting!
I also noticed in the clip from Eurovision Bruce was playing bass! Didn't know he played bass.
Fenderman

Postby Moderne » 03 May 2020, 22:18

Fenderman wrote:Just watched the documentary and enjoyed it immensely. Some of the footage i've never seen before - the Feeling Fine footage was interesting!
I also noticed in the clip from Eurovision Bruce was playing bass! Didn't know he played bass.

He doesn't. He was miming because they needed a piano (Alan Tarney) and didn't want to have an extra person on stage.
Last edited by Moderne on 03 May 2020, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
Moderne

Postby Twilight Ranger » 03 May 2020, 22:22

George Harrison suggested that The Shadows should sing more instead of instrumentals. The Shadows' best vocal number barely made it into the top ten in England and the vocals of Marvin, Welch & Farrar fared even worse. I understand that the band used to sing a few songs in concerts for the sake of variety, though. Bruce Welch was right. He and Hank didn't sound like The Everly Brothers.
"I have travelled the world through my ability to play three chords." - Bruce Welch
Twilight Ranger

Postby bob t » 03 May 2020, 23:02

jim w wrote:
bob t wrote:Wonder if that is the full clip of "Feelin' Fine" or if there is a recording of the whole song. Shame they hsd to talkover it though

Full Song Bob but they could only use that clip

Now that is something I would love to see
bob t

Postby alewis41 » 04 May 2020, 04:27

drakula63 wrote: And... and... and... JOHN FARRAR! I'll admit that I didn't expect to see him! Must have cost them a lot to go to Malibu just for a minute or so. And to Aus too. With very minor quibbles, I would give it 10 out of 10.

:clap:

It was great to see Marvin, Welch & Farrar included, albeit briefly.

Those little clips are not filmed at John Farrar's house in Malibu. You can see downtown Beverly Hills in the background. Nigel Lythgoe is mentioned in the credits and I think that is his house in Bel Air. He and John are big buddies.

Nigel's house is currently up for sale at $13 Million :)

Andrew
alewis41

Postby russ » 04 May 2020, 09:07

Quite a lot of positive feedback on Twitter and Facebook individually , however why has BBC4's twitter and Facebook pages not mentioned it, nowhere for us to send any likes or add comments about how good it was easily. I notice they DID put posts about TOTP 1989, Guitar Rifts at the BBC, Elton John in Concert and Slade (who recorded Peace Pipe under a different name)who are on this Friday."Points of View" have asked if anyone watched the documentary , so might get a 30 second mention on Sunday? Wonder if "Gogglebox" were watching it too!
russ

Postby MikeAB » 04 May 2020, 10:37

Didn't Marvin Welch and Farrar suffer worse sales of the first LP because not enough were pressed?

They seem to be getting a bit of a raw deal round the patch - they did what the 'cool' people demanded t the time and changed their style, producing some very good stuff (not all of it - but Beatles apart who made perfect LP's anyway ?), and then apparently their audiences shouted for the Shads enough to dissuade them from continuing. I saw MWF three times and no one shouted - and they were great.

Should have stayed with the Shads name maybe and not so obviously copied the CSN name style? A gradual sharing of instrumentals with vocals like Burning Bridges etc. might have done the trick.

The two tracks featured on the TV were not their best by any means either.

If they had a weakness it was the lyrics I think. 'Marmaduke' needed something better than 'Choo Choo Choo' etc
MikeAB

Postby iefje » 04 May 2020, 11:22

I have seen the documentary too and I also like it very much. Nice to see Bruce and Brian together at Abbey Road Studios jamming together with Hank, who played from his own studio in Perth. Great also to see "Feelin' Fine" being sung and played live on TV. The footage from "The Event" shows in 1989 also were a treat. So far, the only Cliff Richard & The Shadows recordings (audio only) available from these shows are "The Young Ones" and "In The Country" on the "From A Distance - The Event" album. I think most of the major events from The Shadows' career have been discussed, predominantly from the late 1950's and the 1960's. From the 1970's, mostly the Eurovision events and the 1978 and 1979 chart returns have been mentioned, while the 1980's have been summarised with the recording of mostly instrumental versions of hits from other artists. I think it's a very worthwhile documentary and I hope it will be released on DVD and/or Blu-Ray. Maybe as extras the full clips of "Feelin' Fine" and The Shadows accompanying Royston Ellis could be included as well as the full Cliff Richard & The Shadows and The Shadows' sets from "The Event".
iefje

Postby chippy71 » 04 May 2020, 11:27

UlrichS wrote:
P.G.M.G. wrote:... Does anyone know which numbers The Shadows(without Cliff) did play on The Event in 1989? ...

The Shadows: Riders In The Sky – Atlantis – Mountains Of The Moon –Theme From The Deer Hunter – Foot Tapper – Wonderful Land – Apache – F.B.I.

I wonder if it was recorded but just never released?
chippy71

PreviousNext

Return to The Main Board