The Shadows At Sixty

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Re: The Shadows At Sixty

Postby Gatwick1946 » 03 May 2020, 07:24

And... Even Hank's much undervalued (even by HBM himself) Antoria/Guyatone, looks quite flash and new, in those very good quality photos. I know they are the very devil to tune, cos I have one, but great for posing with in front of the mirror!

And... To see moving images, where once I have only seen a still taken from the reel of film!......to me its just magic!

Must not get too excited, at my age!

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Postby RayL » 03 May 2020, 08:36

Documentary makers on popular subjects are caught between the need to fill every second of their allotted time with pictures (preferably moving pictures in colour) and the demands of the big film libraries who charge enormous amounts - by the minute and sometimes by the second. That's why 'filler' (shot of a post van, for example) is used - it costs less than concert footage.

It was a very good documentary.
In television terms, two lads from Newcastle with no formal musical training who make it to the top is the 'story', because everyone likes it when 'local boys make good'.
If you as the documentary maker are given an hour then the steps to the top must inevitably form a major part, especially since Hank and Bruce and Brian were savvy enough, and musically inventive enough, to hang on to their money so that there was no decline through drink or drugs or gambling or bad management.
Ray
RayL

Postby drakula63 » 03 May 2020, 09:03

Gary Allen wrote:Better than I expected,Would loved to have seen that Cavatina performance at Wembley.

I was at one of the two days... can't remember which now! It was incredible... never seen so many people! And, before the show, I literally passed Brian Bennett walking down towards the stadium. I couldn't believe it! I just stood there in shock. By the time I had recovered, he'd gone. And, yes, it was definitely him!

(I think I was at the first night... it was the night it was reported on the ITN News... a couple of my friends recorded it on video.)
drakula63

Postby shadowriter » 03 May 2020, 09:25

I was at the first night. The thing I didn't expect was the incredible sound the
lads produced, exactly as per the recordings I was absolutely knocked out. Was never a Cliff fan, only went to see the Shads.
I was impressed though with the work he put in, singing with every guest, a great performer.
Always been to me a great shame and annoyance that the Shads weren't included on the Event video.
shadowriter

Postby MikeAB » 03 May 2020, 10:22

Does Cliff say 'I didn't want them to be a success' rather than 'did' ? Or is it my old ears.

Thought I'd heard that on the radio clip. He won't have meant it of course and it should have been re-dubbed maybe?

I noted the D. Mail had their usual go at him the other day - 'we drove the Beatles out' comment was taken right out of its humorous context for a spiky 'immodest' headline.
MikeAB

Postby drakula63 » 03 May 2020, 12:01

MikeAB wrote:Does Cliff say 'I didn't want them to be a success' rather than 'did' ? Or is it my old ears.

Thought I'd heard that on the radio clip. He won't have meant it of course and it should have been re-dubbed maybe?

I noted the D. Mail had their usual go at him the other day - 'we drove the Beatles out' comment was taken right out of its humorous context for a spiky 'immodest' headline.

To be fair, the Daily Mail has been very, very supportive of Cliff over the years - they have been on his side in a lot of things. The comment you mention was, I think, made by one of the diarists or columnists; they often talk rubbish and/or common sense in equal measure. But it certainly wasn't part of a news story or proper review as such. And I've watched the programme three times now and Cliff definitely says that they wanted the Shads to be a success! It was his suggestion, after all, that they audition for Norrie Paramor with a view to getting a recording deal for themselves.
drakula63

Postby abstamaria » 03 May 2020, 12:08

I’ve just watched it on YouTube. It is wonderful.

Andy
abstamaria

Postby P.G.M.G. » 03 May 2020, 12:27

Many thanks to Steve Reynolds for putting the documentary on You Tube.
I have enjoyed it thouroughly, very impressive.

Does anyone know which numbers The Shadows(without Cliff) did play on The Event in 1989?

Best wishes
Peter
P.G.M.G.

Postby UlrichS » 03 May 2020, 12:43

P.G.M.G. wrote:... Does anyone know which numbers The Shadows(without Cliff) did play on The Event in 1989? ...

The Shadows: Riders In The Sky – Atlantis – Mountains Of The Moon –Theme From The Deer Hunter – Foot Tapper – Wonderful Land – Apache – F.B.I.
UlrichS

Postby jim w » 03 May 2020, 13:07

The Clips from Aladdin where taken from the BBC 1965 production not Cliff & The Shadows which has been sadly wiped.
jim w

PreviousNext

Return to The Main Board