Hank Marvin's 1958 Fiesta Red Strat In-store At Concept Musi

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Re: Hank Marvin's 1958 Fiesta Red Strat In-store At Concept

Postby Gatwick1946 » 27 Jun 2021, 14:46

Nice to reflect that a 1958 Fiesta Red Strat has survived pretty much in original condition. There cannot be many still around? I believe the Sunburst ones outsold the other colours?

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Postby Teflon » 27 Jun 2021, 14:54

dave robinson wrote:What type of person buys something as a gift for a friend, then wants it back?
I feel really lucky not to have friends like that. :|

To be fair to Cliff, I think the was suggesting he wanted it back from Bruce, as he had bought it for Hank and only lent it to Bruce. In any case, I don't think he was being serious with the remark and as Ian suggested earlier, it's now more of a running gag. In one recent interview, when asked how he came to have the Strat, Bruce replied with a smile: "I nicked it". :)

Personally, I get the impression that the guitar seems to mean more to Bruce than it does to either Cliff or Hank, so it's perhaps best that he has it, as at least it gets shown on occasions.

Cliff
Teflon

Postby dave robinson » 27 Jun 2021, 15:30

This is the story that Bruce told me personally.
In the mid seventies when no one bought Cliff records and he disappeared from the charts, it was Bruce who put him back there with the album 'I'm Nearly Famous' which contained 'Devil Woman' & 'Miss You Nights' which shortly afterwards led to the single 'We Don't Talk Anymore', once again establishing Cliff as a mainstream artiste.
Bruce searched for and discovered a raft of great songs and got Cliff back 'at it' making credible music,away from the stuff that was turning him into a laughing stock in pop music. There's no other way to put it. That's what happened.
Cliff wanted to recompense Bruce for his efforts and Bruce didn't want any money and said to Cliff 'I wouldn't mind that old Strat in your cupboard under the stairs'. Consequently Cliff presented the Strat to Bruce and that's what he told me twenty years ago.
Whether or not people want to believe that is another matter but Bruce did Cliff a massive favour doing what he did, because he had become a joke.
Only to find out later that Cliff had planned to record a follow up album in France without telling Bruce, who found out from a fan over in San Fransisco whilst on holiday. You couldn't write it. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby AlanMcKillop » 27 Jun 2021, 17:43

That’s exactly the account from Bruce that appeared in an issue of Guitarist many years ago, it was payment in kind for him turning around Cliffs career.
AlanMcKillop

Postby GoldenStreet » 27 Jun 2021, 18:08

Teflon wrote:
Personally, I get the impression that the guitar seems to mean more to Bruce than it does to either Cliff or Hank, so it's perhaps best that he has it, as at least it gets shown on occasions.Cliff

I can't think of a better custodian of an instrument so inextricably linked to the pioneering sound of the Shadows. After all, it is Bruce who has worked hard to perpetuate the Shadows' brand during the years since the group's retirement, helping to keep the music alive for following generations.

As to the guitar's actual original ownership, it would appear that none of those involved is able to recall accurately, or was fully aware of, the events of 62 years ago, powers of memory being what they are. Did CR provide the funding out of his own pocket, or was it his management of the day which met the cost? Either way, 1959 was before Peter Gormley's time.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby drakula63 » 03 Jul 2021, 18:54

I think Ben is being a little disingenuous in the video... even though he may be joking. The original '59 Strat technically belonged to Cliff. Hank gave it back to Cliff. Cliff, several years later, then gave it to Bruce. They (Hank, Bruce and Cliff) all joke about being the rightful owners (or not), but they all know the truth. And I suspect Ben does too. If Cliff really wanted it back, he'd get it.

Let's be honest, these guys are all millionaires. The Strat is just a piece of wood. If it meant anything to Hank he wouldn't have given it back to Cliff. And if it meant anything to Cliff, he wouldn't have given it to Bruce. The guitar is in the right hands. They're all cool with that, so it's pointless for others to claim otherwise.
drakula63

Previous

Return to The Main Board