My thoughts... Note: to Hank, Bruce, & John

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Re: My thoughts... Note: to Hank, Bruce, & John

Postby Rich Cowling » 07 May 2021, 11:50

drakula63 wrote:I always thought that Second Opinion was rated as 'the best'. I have the LP in its quad form, but have never played it on a quad player. It does sound good in stereo, if a little different.

The 'funny' thing is, if Marvin, Welch and Farrar reformed now for a one-off show, they could probably pack the 02 or at least Wembley Arena. Well, maybe not THIS year! I'm not joking either. Imagine Hank, Bruce, John with Brian on drums, Griff on bass and Warren on keys... Or maybe Alan Hawksahw on keys and Dave Richmond or Mo Foster on bass? Just think of how many people would pay to see that!

I relish the thought Chris.... and what a potential line up.
Rich Cowling

Postby StuartD » 07 May 2021, 12:24

alewis41 wrote:
StuartD wrote:
alewis41 wrote:John Farrar toured with Olivia after leaving the Shads but unlike Bruce and Hank he has rarely played live since those days. When I interviewed him for Tony Hoffman's Shadsfax special he said... "well I was always a disaster on stage - absolutely no stage presence. I'd be the one lurking behind the amps (laughs). I last played live in the late 70's backing Olivia but since then I've preferred to be in the studio".

Would be great if it happened!

Andrew

Hi Alan

His last live gig was with Olivia at Hull Bailey's. Just before they left for the states

Regards

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. I know that John and Pat toured Japan with Olivia in 1976 and I think that may have been his last tour. Last performance on stage I know about was a US TV Special Night of 100 Stars in 1990 where John played guitar when Olivia sang Hopelessly Devoted to You. That's on YouTube.

Even that was more than 30 years ago!

Andrew

I know when Olivia toured here after Grease it was Big Jim Sullivan on guitar. I was disappointed because I thought it may have been John.
StuartD

Postby Rich Cowling » 15 May 2021, 15:57

Rich Cowling wrote:I'm listening to Second Opinion at the moment and often do... these amazing tracks should be heard by the wider masses preferably live one more time... some won't know who Marvin Welch & Farrah are, yes are.....
Looking to the music gods.... There was no 'An Evening With' a one time only presentation, even 'In The Round'(theatre) finale, that I know of, is it really beyond the impossible to (re) launch this genius that only we few know of it seems....its kind of unfinished...there are so many media platforms that could facilitate... Stay safe everyone
Regards Richard.

Voices needing a voice.... may i say.
Rich Cowling

Postby Iain Purdon » 15 May 2021, 20:09

I would put the chances at zero, Richard. These guys are all 50 years older now. Those crystal clear voices will not be the same.
As John Lennon once said, “listen to the records!” That pleasure will endure. :D
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby Rich Cowling » 16 May 2021, 11:17

No harm in food for thought, sometimes there can be benefits, as mentioned, other popular platforms offer the simplicity, less pressure ...it was nice to share the Abbey Road moment with Hank Bruce & Brian in the recent Documentary...(Apache).
Rich Cowling

Postby drakula63 » 16 May 2021, 14:21

I think the thing about a Marvin, Welch and Farrar concert now is that it would essentially be a 'Shadows' concert - especially if they had Brian on drums, which I suspect they would. Whether they called themselves The Shadows or MWF, it would be a sellout. Look at how the final tours of the last decade sold. They could do a set similar to the MWF sets of old, or the Shads Paris Olympia or pre-Eurovision sets. A more or less equal mix of Shads and MWF tunes. I bet they wouldn't be walking off stage to the sound of their own footsteps. I'd suggest that the best option would be three nights at the Royal Albert Hall. Incredible venue, classy and historic and fairly easy (central London) for most people to get to. I'd be willing to bet that every night would sell out within the first day. OK, it's never going to happen, but if they all decided that they wanted it to happen, then it would.

P.S. And I think they should do Monday, Wednesday and Friday !!!
drakula63

Postby Teflon » 16 May 2021, 16:27

I think they should shun the big venues and crowds, and do a one off low key gig in a small discrete venue. Somewhere random like perhaps Hersham Sports & Social Club (nice and local for Bruce). By a happy coincidence, The Surrey Shadows meet there once a month, so they could take more pressure off by doing just a short set and then let "the players" come up and have a go with them. Have to keep the attendance numbers down to make sure wifey could get a nice clear shot of me on stage with them of course :D

On second thoughts, not a good idea. I suspect playing with me would guarantee they'd steer clear of guitars for the rest of their days. Back to reality :D

On another note, it's worth mentioning I was one of those tasteless idiots who, back in the '70s, hated MWF and longed for them to stick to Shadows material. In my defence, I was only 14/15 or so, so had no idea about anything much (though of course, at the time I knew everything there was to know about everything). Anyhow, in '74, my mum took me and a friend up to the London Palladium to see "The Cliff Richard Show". I loved the Cliff's part of the show, but had long since forgotten who else appeared with him. Reading this thread got me thinking: The Cliff Richard Show back in '74 would have been the perfect place for MWF to appear. The much wiser and older me now fully appreciates the brilliance of MWF, and it occurred to me that I may have actually seen them live, and forgotten all about it :oops: .

With that thought in mind, I headed into the attic to search for an old scrap book I kept as a child which I knew contained parts of the programme. Hadn't seen it for 40+ years, but eventually found it :) . Anyhow, I am now able to confirm that, appearing with Cliff at The London Palladium in April 1974 were: The Pamela Devis Dancers with Pat Carroll; Freddie Davies; Little & Large; The Aguanitos (from Paris, no less); and The Trio Athenee. No MWF!! Darn, Darn, Darn.

Seems I may have to resurrect my cunning plan to bring them all to Hersham - anyone know who to write to? :P

Cliff
Teflon

Postby Iain Purdon » 16 May 2021, 20:10

Try H. Marvin, Perth WA !!
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby Teflon » 16 May 2021, 21:37

Iain Purdon wrote:Try H. Marvin, Perth WA !!

:lol: I'll ask the wife if she has a stamp :D

Cliff
Teflon

Postby Rich Cowling » 17 May 2021, 12:57

Teflon wrote:I think they should shun the big venues and crowds, and do a one off low key gig in a small discrete venue. Somewhere random like perhaps Hersham Sports & Social Club (nice and local for Bruce). By a happy coincidence, The Surrey Shadows meet there once a month, so they could take more pressure off by doing just a short set and then let "the players" come up and have a go with them. Have to keep the attendance numbers down to make sure wifey could get a nice clear shot of me on stage with them of course :D

On second thoughts, not a good idea. I suspect playing with me would guarantee they'd steer clear of guitars for the rest of their days. Back to reality :D

On another note, it's worth mentioning I was one of those tasteless idiots who, back in the '70s, hated MWF and longed for them to stick to Shadows material. In my defence, I was only 14/15 or so, so had no idea about anything much (though of course, at the time I knew everything there was to know about everything). Anyhow, in '74, my mum took me and a friend up to the London Palladium to see "The Cliff Richard Show". I loved the Cliff's part of the show, but had long since forgotten who else appeared with him. Reading this thread got me thinking: The Cliff Richard Show back in '74 would have been the perfect place for MWF to appear. The much wiser and older me now fully appreciates the brilliance of MWF, and it occurred to me that I may have actually seen them live, and forgotten all about it :oops: .

With that thought in mind, I headed into the attic to search for an old scrap book I kept as a child which I knew contained parts of the programme. Hadn't seen it for 40+ years, but eventually found it :) . Anyhow, I am now able to confirm that, appearing with Cliff at The London Palladium in April 1974 were: The Pamela Devis Dancers with Pat Carroll; Freddie Davies; Little & Large; The Aguanitos (from Paris, no less); and The Trio Athenee. No MWF!! Darn, Darn, Darn.

Seems I may have to resurrect my cunning plan to bring them all to Hersham - anyone know who to write to? :P

Cliff

Ha ... indeed a cunning plan Cliff ....love it.
Rich Cowling

Previous

Return to The Main Board