2020 Hank/Bruce interview

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Re: 2020 Hank/Bruce interview

Postby Iain Purdon » 14 Nov 2020, 16:39

Yes, that likeness was deliberately exploited in “Wonderful Life”, if I remember the scene correctly.
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby scouserjoe2 » 14 Nov 2020, 16:43

Hi Dracula 63,

For your information the medical condition to which you refer is actually known 'Prostate' Cancer. Common in older men and which you may likely find out about later in life.

'Prostrate' is a state of lying stretched out on the ground with one's face downwards .. which, up here in the Scottish Highlands, is frequently associated with enjoying too many drams with not enough water !! :-).

Cheers, with dram in hand, but not yet prostrate !!

Ian
scouserjoe2

Postby drakula63 » 14 Nov 2020, 17:19

scouserjoe2 wrote:Hi Dracula 63,

For your information the medical condition to which you refer is actually known 'Prostate' Cancer. Common in older men and which you may likely find out about later in life.

'Prostrate' is a state of lying stretched out on the ground with one's face downwards .. which, up here in the Scottish Highlands, is frequently associated with enjoying too many drams with not enough water !! :-).

Cheers, with dram in hand, but not yet prostrate !!

Ian

Thanks. Yes, I'll make the excuse that 'prostrate' is a word I use far more often that 'prostate'. Still, as I hit 57 in a couple of weeks, doubtless that will change. Then again...

P.S. That's Drakula as opposed to Dracula... the bird rather then the bat (so to speak) !!!
drakula63

Postby Moderne » 14 Nov 2020, 18:43

drakula63 wrote:So we all knew about Hank's prostrate cancer then?

About five years ago, there was an article in the Daily Mail which my mother-in-law sent me (!) in which Hank spoke about his depression. He referred to a medical problem "which could have become life-threatening". I guess this was a reference to the prostate cancer which I, before reading this article, knew nothing about.
I guess the Daily Mail, Express and Mirror still consider Cliff and The Shadows to be newsworthy - much as they used to consider Myra Hindley newsworthy (please forgive the unfortunate comparison :( ). It will be a sad day when they decide that the majority of their readership no longer remember them...
Moderne

Postby drakula63 » 14 Nov 2020, 19:40

Moderne wrote:
drakula63 wrote:So we all knew about Hank's prostrate cancer then?

About five years ago, there was an article in the Daily Mail which my mother-in-law sent me (!) in which Hank spoke about his depression. He referred to a medical problem "which could have become life-threatening". I guess this was a reference to the prostate cancer which I, before reading this article, knew nothing about.
I guess the Daily Mail, Express and Mirror still consider Cliff and The Shadows to be newsworthy - much as they used to consider Myra Hindley newsworthy (please forgive the unfortunate comparison :( ). It will be a sad day when they decide that the majority of their readership no longer remember them...

Interesting. I'll confess that it must have eluded me at the time and it only rings the very vaguest of bells now. I'll assume that it is news to most of us as I can't remember it ever being mentioned on here. Again, Hank seems like the kind of guy who keeps a lot of stuff strictly private and certainly I would be surprised if he's spoken about the prostate cancer before. On a brighter note; I wonder if the CD will get into the charts? Be nice if it does.
drakula63

Postby GoldenStreet » 14 Nov 2020, 21:12

drakula63 wrote:I'll assume that it is news to most of us as I can't remember it ever being mentioned on here. Again, Hank seems like the kind of guy who keeps a lot of stuff strictly private and certainly I would be surprised if he's spoken about the prostate cancer before.

Despite Hank, in particular, having lived practically his entire adult life in the public eye, I have always perceived him as, essentially, a private person away from the glare of the spotlight. I feel a most commendable feature of this forum is that we pay due deference and respect for the more personal aspects of the lives of the individuals we all admire so much.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby drakula63 » 15 Nov 2020, 11:24

GoldenStreet wrote:
drakula63 wrote:I'll assume that it is news to most of us as I can't remember it ever being mentioned on here. Again, Hank seems like the kind of guy who keeps a lot of stuff strictly private and certainly I would be surprised if he's spoken about the prostate cancer before.

Despite Hank, in particular, having lived practically his entire adult life in the public eye, I have always perceived him as, essentially, a private person away from the glare of the spotlight. I feel a most commendable feature of this forum is that we pay due deference and respect for the more personal aspects of the lives of the individuals we all admire so much.

Bill

True. Although if Hank had gone public with something as big as that, at the time, then I feel that it would and should have been mentioned on here. The fact that it wasn't, suggests to me that, for most of us, this news has come as a complete surprise - and shock. Having said that, I agree that this is not the place for gossip or rumours re. their personal lives.
drakula63

Postby Fenderman » 15 Nov 2020, 13:04

I remember reading a few years ago an interview that Hank mentioned a 'life threatening illness' so i guess this is what he was referring to. Also, i'm sure Bruce had a similar problem some years ago.
Fenderman

Postby Gatwick1946 » 15 Nov 2020, 13:50

In the photo which was the main one in the middle, it struck me that the 2 strats appeared to be almost identical colour wise. A trick of the light methinks?, - but a subject that has occupied much space on these boards.

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Postby drakula63 » 15 Nov 2020, 14:02

Gatwick1946 wrote:In the photo which was the main one in the middle, it struck me that the 2 strats appeared to be almost identical colour wise. A trick of the light methinks?, - but a subject that has occupied much space on these boards.

Kindest regards,
Christopher

Incredibly, I was thinking exactly the same thing about an hour ago, when glancing at the article again! I was at the 1989 Wembley Stadium event... but can't remember what colours the guitars were! But, yes, I always assumed that Hank and Bruce's Strats didn't quite match in terms of colour... be that Flamingo Pink or Fiesta Red !!!
drakula63

PreviousNext

Return to The Main Board