Bruce Welch Tech Talk Video.

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Re: Bruce Welch Tech Talk Video.

Postby GoldenStreet » 13 Jul 2020, 15:26

bor64 wrote:Well Ian,

There must something wrong with Firefox browser, because I still can't see the link in the second message

Cheers Rob

Yes, Rob, Firefox is the problem here. I have a Firefox browser, as well as Google Chrome, and found it did not work for me either.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby UlrichS » 13 Jul 2020, 16:22

GoldenStreet wrote:
bor64 wrote:Well Ian,

There must something wrong with Firefox browser, because I still can't see the link in the second message

Cheers Rob

Yes, Rob, Firefox is the problem here. I have a Firefox browser, as well as Google Chrome, and found it did not work for me either.

Bill

Hi Rob and Bill,
I don't think that Firefox is the problem. I have version 77 and it works fine with me. It might be a question of updates, the latest is 78 currently.
Microsoft Edge (version 83) also works fine.
I have problems with the Internet Explorer 11 (under Windows 7) which does not show the link.
I hope this is of help.
Ulrich
UlrichS

Postby Garystrat » 13 Jul 2020, 17:01

I have checked the link out via a link shortener and it’s being re-directed to the video via an https:// website youtu.be, but this may still questionable?

To be on the safe side I have run a clean up routine on my computer!

Here is a direct link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exIJhue ... ture=share

Regards

Gary
Garystrat

Postby GoldenStreet » 13 Jul 2020, 18:05

UlrichS wrote:
Hi Rob and Bill,
I don't think that Firefox is the problem. I have version 77 and it works fine with me. It might be a question of updates, the latest is 78 currently.
Microsoft Edge (version 83) also works fine.
I have problems with the Internet Explorer 11 (under Windows 7) which does not show the link.
I hope this is of help.
Ulrich

Thanks, Ulrich. I have Windows 7 and am checking to see which version of Firefox is currently installed. Like you, with Internet Explorer the link shows only as a blank black box!

Also, it's interesting that with PMs, I seem to receive a notification email of a newly arrived message only on Firefox, not on Google Chrome... not that I am an expert at all in these technical matters!

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby drakula63 » 13 Jul 2020, 18:24

A little update.

Just had a phone call from the friend I mentioned in my earlier post...

He tells me that the guy who interviews Bruce in the video, Lee Hodgson, was one of his tutors at the Guitar Institute when he was there about 20 years ago. Apparently Lee is a great guitarist! He says he might message him via facebook with a link to the video.
drakula63

Postby bor64 » 13 Jul 2020, 19:42

I use the newest version of WIN10 and Firefox, because Avast give me a notice when a new version of whatever programme is on my laptop.

Cheers Rob
bor64

Postby SJB » 13 Jul 2020, 22:15

Lee Hodgson gave lessons for Guitar Techniques magazine. I took this mag for quite a long time.

I enjoyed the interview - but thought it funny when Bruce was playing chords and asking Lee what they were. Bruce being so honest.
But did he need to know?

His hand action is amazing.I wish I could do that.
SJB

Postby GoldenStreet » 14 Jul 2020, 00:19

Towards the end, we see another brief 'Shadows to the Fore' glimpse of the blond Telecaster, which Bruce confirms was for promotional purposes only and never used for recording, but we still don't know if it was the same one he was playing on TV in 1961!

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby bosunbob » 14 Jul 2020, 01:06

Bruce has succinctly stated and confirming twice with great brevity that the Telecaster was not used to
record with, but instead was used for promotional purnposes. In saying this there seems no doubt to the accuracy
in the emphatic "no" & " yes" answers.
However, was the Telecaster as observed being played by Bruce in the three TV performances I've seen on YT, being played live or was the
performance mimed - a common practice on TV shows at the time.
That, I believe is an important question to ask and find an answer to for anyone interested in the Shadows use
of the Telecaster whether it be as a photographic prop, during a performance on TV, or during a recording session.
As Bill suggests, there may well have been more than one Telecaster in play here. After Bruce's comment it seems clear
the latter is a none starter now, and the guitars use as a prop is there for all to see,
leaving the appearance on the Cliff TV show: plugged in and played, producing live music, or mimed?

Sorry to drone on about this but, on another group, a member recalls from a conversation with an employee
of the musical instrument store that loaned our the Telecaster for the Shadows first album cover photo shoot
and another on an EP cover (my thought), that the guitar was subsequently returned and sold as Shop Worn at £75.
So perhaps, the Telecaster may have sustained the effects of, although probably brief, but heavy use.
Such as in photo shoots and TV studios. From my experience from long ago, if people lend out items to
production houses or commercial photographers, and while they pay quite well, there is generally very little concern
for the borrowed prop once the camera has done it job. Damage seems always inevitable.
I forget the name of the music store in London, Its still there.

Cheers
Bruce Gibbins.
Last edited by bosunbob on 14 Jul 2020, 11:58, edited 3 times in total.
bosunbob

Postby Iain Purdon » 14 Jul 2020, 11:02

bor64 wrote:There must something wrong with Firefox browser, because I still can't see the link in the second message.
Cheers Rob

I've just downloaded Firefox on my computer to check; the video link is correctly displayed here.
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Main Board