The Shadows FBI album - very helpful

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Re: The Shadows FBI album - very helpful

Postby dave robinson » 15 May 2020, 18:16

I'm not sure why the 36-24-36 track is included as it isn't a new find. Roberto gave it to me seventeen years ago. :|
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby fenderplucker » 16 May 2020, 04:41

A second lead guitar on FBI or just the over-the-top reverb with pre-delay panned on the lower parts of the tune?? Or are you suggesting that there is a second rhythm guitar?
fenderplucker

Postby abstamaria » 16 May 2020, 11:06

Dave, all, what is difference between the tracks in this album versus the versions that appeared in older CDs, such as the five-CD compilation? Are they the BBC recordings that were released ooriginally or differdnt versions? Or much better quality, more accurate CDs of the original releases?

Best,

Andy
abstamaria

Postby dave robinson » 16 May 2020, 15:44

Andy, it may disappoint you greatly that unlike some, I buy a CD primarily to listen to and enjoy rather than sit and analyse.
That said I often find and hear stuff that I had missed before, or notice something quirky that Hank perhaps changed from another take which interests me, which I will mention if I think someone may benefit from knowing.
What I don't do is compare it with every other CD that I have bought on the off chance of finding out that I may already have bought the same tracks before, I enjoy it for what it is and would advise everyone to do the same.
As it happens I have the version of 36-24-36 on a CD that was kindly given to me by Roberto seventeen years ago, but was pleased to hear it again. The BBC tracks and 1962 Olympia content is worth the £8.99 cost of the CD. Let's just enjoy the music. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby shadowriter » 16 May 2020, 16:55

dave robinson wrote:Andy, it may disappoint you greatly that unlike some, I buy a CD primarily to listen to and enjoy rather than sit and analyse.
That said I often find and hear stuff that I had missed before, or notice something quirky that Hank perhaps changed from another take which interests me, which I will mention if I think someone may benefit from knowing.
What I don't do is compare it with every other CD that I have bought on the off chance of finding out that I may already have bought the same tracks before, I enjoy it for what it is and would advise everyone to do the same.
As it happens I have the version of 36-24-36 on a CD that was kindly given to me by Roberto seventeen years ago, but was pleased to hear it again. The BBC tracks and 1962 Olympia content is worth the £8.99 cost of the CD. Let's just enjoy the music. :)

Spot on Dave.
shadowriter

Postby abstamaria » 17 May 2020, 00:43

Thanks, Dave. I do that, too, but was just wondering whether these are tracks I had not heard before. From the other thread, it seems they are different from the original releases, which would then be interesting yo me. Instructive too.

Yes, I do tend to analyse, compare, listen to nuances beyond the music. I am OC, probably clinically!

Andy
abstamaria

Postby dave robinson » 17 May 2020, 13:38

Just listening to track 9 which is Apache at the BBC and how 'drab' it sounds without the echo and Abbey Road treatment. On the other hand track 10 QMS sounds pretty good by comparison. One can safely say that the drama was added in the studio. I think this answers a lot of questions as to why many struggle to get anywhere close, the the core sound is always present. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » 21 May 2020, 13:09

I placed track 9 (Apache) into Logic Pro X and added some reverb and EQ and I managed to get the sound towards what we all know and love. I didn't spend a lot of time on it, but I'm more convinced now that the studio and engineer was the key to what we are seeking. Had I been able to get the lead guitar on it's own, The results could have been amazing, but it is difficult to separate. Just by adding 72ms reverb with only the treble affected and some MID EQ,, I heard something close to that original recording. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby petercreasey » 21 May 2020, 16:09

dave robinson wrote:I placed track 9 (Apache) into Logic Pro X and added some reverb and EQ and I managed to get the sound towards what we all know and love. I didn't spend a lot of time on it, but I'm more convinced now that the studio and engineer was the key to what we are seeking. Had I been able to get the lead guitar on it's own, The results could have been amazing, but it is difficult to separate. Just by adding 72ms reverb with only the treble affected and some MID EQ,, I heard something close to that original recording. :)

I am probably being naive ( not having spent much time or effort into trying to find "That Sound" ) but was there not a pedal which was supposed to add that "Abbey Road magic" ? The ARIAB I think it was called. I have no experience of it but for those on the quest was this not the answer?

Take care
petercreasey

Postby dave robinson » 21 May 2020, 16:29

I'm talking ambient reverb here, the ARIAB was a bass cut. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

PreviousNext

Return to The Main Board