Shadows Rarities

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Re: Shadows Rarities

Postby shadowriter » 14 Apr 2020, 14:16

JimN wrote:The Miracle has been made available on CD in stereo on:

(a) the original version of "The Early Years" CDx6 (UK) from the early 1990s,

(b) "The Shadows With Strings Attached" CD EMI (UK) 526092 2,

(c) "Somethin' Else!! / Apache" CD Magic Records (Fr) MAM113, and

(d) "The Early Years (expanded edition)" CDx6 Warner / Parlophone (UK) 444 2702.

That last set is well worth having, not only for your "missing" stereo version of Lady Penelope, but also for stereo versions of French Dressing and Blue Shadows never otherwise available in stereo. There are also true mono versions of thirty-one other tracks appended as disc 6 (and the last two tracks of disc 5).

Thanks Jim

Shadows with strings attached is one of my ' Loaned out never returned CDs.'
and last week I bought a replacement from Ebay. Hadn't catalogued it yet
so missed it. Chuffed to bits now, it's amongst my favourite tracks.
Thanks again for your help.
Norman
-
shadowriter

Postby Fenderman » 14 Apr 2020, 22:40

I had Rarities on vinyl that i bought from a collector but sold some years later for a price i couldn't turn down.
Fenderman

Postby shadowriter » 15 Apr 2020, 08:11

Fenderman wrote:I had Rarities on vinyl that i bought from a collector but sold some years later for a price i couldn't turn down.

I know what you mean. Still got mine, bought from
a shop called rare records in Manchester many, many, many years ago.
and have been sorely tempted a couple of times.
shadowriter

Postby Fenderman » 15 Apr 2020, 20:03

I'm NOT selling Rarities 2 though! Ever!
Fenderman

Postby bor64 » 15 Apr 2020, 20:46

Neither am I, I like Rarities 1 and 2 on CD .
I've to check, I think both are Australian publishings.
I bought them ages ago, can't remember where and when and how much( seems to happen more and more ;) )

Cheers Rob
bor64

Postby Teflon » 16 Apr 2020, 09:17

Fenderman wrote:I had Rarities on vinyl that i bought from a collector but sold some years later for a price i couldn't turn down.

I still have mine in the attic. Are these worth good money then?

Not selling, just curious :)

Cliff
Teflon

Postby Moderne » 16 Apr 2020, 09:31

One sold on eBay recently for 99p (+£3.48 postage). I don't think any British Shadows vinyl records (except the Five Chesternuts and Drifters singles, and 'Talking' Maroc 7) are worth very much. Most of them sold in relatively large quantities. I remember John Friesen telling me on the 'phone in 1983 that I'd have to spend at least £20 if I wanted a copy of Hank's first solo LP. Now they go for £2/£3 on eBay. It's re-defined what a 'rare and sought after' record is!
Moderne

Postby JimN » 16 Apr 2020, 11:41

I remember John Friesen telling me on the 'phone in 1983 that I'd have to spend at least £20 if I wanted a copy of Hank's first solo LP. Now they go for £2/£3 on eBay. It's re-defined what a 'rare and sought after' record is!

Since 1983, that LP has been re-released on vinyl at least once (by See For Miles) and on CD twice.

The See For Miles CD ("Would You Believe It? Plus" - 1989) had eight bonus tracks and the EMI CD ("Hank Marvin" - 1998) had ten bonus tracks. No-one needs the original LP unless they are amassing a complete collection, or unless they want one of the (fairly rare) mono pressings of the LP released as SX 6352.
JimN

Postby Moderne » 16 Apr 2020, 13:58

I agree - but the same can be said of most Shadows recordings on vinyl; you can get everything on CD or download now. There are a very few discs, however, which still retain a high value - The Five Chesternuts single for example. I notice there's an autographed (by Hank and Bruce) demo of Feelin' Fine on eBay at the moment for a modest asking price of £999.99!!! You could buy several Caitlin Multi-grain bread echo boxes for that money and still have change left over!

Oh, the joy of collecting records! I remember spending several years wondering what Jet Black and Driftin' sounded like. Until the advent of YouTube and internet streaming services, the only way you could hear a piece of music was either by happening to catch it being broadcast on the radio, borrowing the record from a friend or owning it yourself... If (like the aforementioned Jet Black single) the songs were unavailable on any current compilation LPs - you had to trawl through secondhand record shops ("Can I go through your Columbia 45s box, please"..."Can I go through your Cliff/Shadows box, please"), jumble sales etc. Happy days!
Moderne

Postby JimN » 16 Apr 2020, 14:49

Moderne wrote:Oh, the joy of collecting records! I remember spending several years wondering what Jet Black and Driftin' sounded like. Until the advent of YouTube and internet streaming services, the only way you could hear a piece of music was either by happening to catch it being broadcast on the radio, borrowing the record from a friend or owning it yourself... If (like the aforementioned Jet Black single) the songs were unavailable on any current compilation LPs - you had to trawl through secondhand record shops ("Can I go through your Columbia 45s box, please"..."Can I go through your Cliff/Shadows box, please"), jumble sales etc. Happy days!

Jet Black and Driftin' were effectively airbrushed out of the history by Columbia. After the single was deleted and stocks exhausted, it was not available again on a UK release until "The Early Years" (CD x 6) in 1991!

They were on an import French EP, "Apache" (which I have) and in 1980, they were included on a German EMI Shadows LP called "20 Rock'n'Roll Hits". That too was available as an import and I managed to get a copy at Our Price in Cambridge in 1983. It also included welcome reissues of Feelin' Fine, Don't Be A Fool With Love and Be -Bop-A-Lula.
JimN

PreviousNext

Return to The Main Board