Finders Keepers

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Finders Keepers

Postby neil2726 » 28 Feb 2022, 17:35

Just watched Finders Keepers again and really enjoyed it! Some really good tunes and those green Burns! Of all the songs I thought "This Day" was really outstanding and should have had more exposure than it did!
neil2726

Re: Finders Keepers

Postby Steven Parish » 28 Feb 2022, 19:17

Although Finders Keepers was not as successful as Expresso Bongo, The Young Ones, Summer Holiday or Wonderful Life, it's my favourite Cliff film by far. It's an enjoyable and fun little movie and The Shads feature much more than they do in Cliff's previous films. Plus, of course, they wrote all the music for it. Superb songs & musicianship. Finders Keepers was on the fabulous Talking Pictures ( Sky Channel 328 ) yesterday afternoon.
Steven Parish

Postby Tone » 01 Mar 2022, 13:03

I saw the film at the cinema when it was first released and I guess I enjoyed it but it certainly didn't stick in my mind. I never saw it again until Sunday so I was interested to see how it had stood the test of time. The answer, for me, was that it hadn't and I found the film itself quite cringeworthy in places. Perhaps that's an unfair comment as this sort of film was never intended to be a timeless classic and you could say the same about The Young Ones, Summer Holiday etc, all of which were 'of their time.'

However, the songs still come across as being very good and I agree with Neil that 'This Day' is exceptional
Tone

Postby LONGPLAYER09 » 02 Mar 2022, 17:00

I see they also screened the film again this morning. Decided to watch my recording as its a wet day. Interesting to see the film credits, all the stars who made us laugh back then. Just a bit puzzled why a Marshal amp case was initially carried when Vox were used in the scenes! Still great light hearted entertainment in these dark days.
LONGPLAYER09

Postby JimN » 02 Mar 2022, 17:39

LONGPLAYER09 wrote:I see they also screened the film again this morning. Decided to watch my recording as its a wet day. Interesting to see the film credits, all the stars who made us laugh back then. Just a bit puzzled why a Marshal amp case was initially carried when Vox were used in the scenes! Still great light hearted entertainment in these dark days.

I remember the Marshall amp head being thrown from the roof of the train in the opening sequence.

I would think that this was a bit of an industry in-joke, since several prominent Marshall users (including Jimi Hendrix and The Who) were just then (later 1966) renowned for smashing up Marshall gear as part of their act. The Marshall head in the film might even have been borrowed from the company. Hank handles the amp as though it is very light - it is therefore possible - and perhaps even likely - that it contained no valves or transformers. I've owned a Marshall 100w amp head and I could never have flung it any distance!
JimN

Postby neil2726 » 02 Mar 2022, 19:16

As I mentioned the green Burns, I wondered if these were only used for the film and if they ever used them on stage afterwards. I know Hank used one in his solo appearances.
neil2726

Postby iefje » 03 Mar 2022, 09:43

I know Hank used a 12-string green Burns on "I'm The Lonely One" during a Cliff & The Shadows concert in Luik, Belgium in 1964, on "Don't Talk To Him" during the 25th anniversary concerts in 1984 and also on "Don't Talk To Him" and "On The Beach" during the 50th anniversary concerts in 2009 and 2010. Apart from "Finders Keepers", the green Burns guitars also make an appearance in "Rhythm & Greens", where Hank and Bruce use 6-string guitars.
iefje

Postby SJB » 03 Mar 2022, 10:44

I tried to watch this on Utube because I missed it on the Television.
The picture was so bad made my eyes pop.
Was the picture that bad on the Televised program?
SJB

Postby neil2726 » 03 Mar 2022, 11:37

Picture on the TV was perfect!
neil2726

Postby Teflon » 03 Mar 2022, 12:50

iefje wrote:I know Hank used a 12-string green Burns on "I'm The Lonely One" during a Cliff & The Shadows concert in Luik, Belgium in 1964, on "Don't Talk To Him" during the 25th anniversary concerts in 1984 and also on "Don't Talk To Him" and "On The Beach" during the 50th anniversary concerts in 2009 and 2010. Apart from "Finders Keepers", the green Burns guitars also make an appearance in "Rhythm & Greens", where Hank and Bruce use 6-string guitars.

Didn't Hank use a green double six for "on The Beach" in the film "Wonderful Life" as well? Haven't seen it in ages, so can't be sure.

Cliff
Teflon

Next

Return to The Main Board