Who's the drummer?

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Re: Who's the drummer?

Postby JimN » 18 Jul 2021, 14:14

Arpeggio wrote:Insofar as I am aware, Tony did not miss any TV Broadcasts / Recording Sessions / BBC Radio Broadcasts etc........BUT...if anyone knows different.....then please do tell. Hank & Bruce did mention Tony missing theatre shows to me several times......but never mentioned him missing those other types of events. ;) :)

Most of The Shadows' TV appearances and radio appearances would have originated from a London studio of one sort or another.

ATV and A-R at Kingsway, BBC in West London, ABC TV at Hackney ("Oh, Boy!") and Teddington (though sometimes Aston in Birmingham). I don't think they ever worked for Granada, though they might have performed at the studios of one of the "minor" regional stations (probably not, though).

BBC mainly at the London studios (including the TV Theatre at Shepherd's Bush as well as TV Centre). Radio Luxembourg (pre-recorded) from that station's Central London facility. There was no BBC local radio until towards the end of the 1960s and not very much from the Corporation's regional services either. There was no UK commercial radio until the early 1970s.

Recording sessions for record would all have taken place at EMI.

Tony would have been able to get to any of the London studios even after a luxurious "lie-in", I should think.
JimN

Postby Teflon » 18 Jul 2021, 15:36

Fenderman wrote:I read somewhere Tony liked his bed - not something the rest of the Shadows had much time in!

Why would the rest of the band spend any time at all in Tonys bed? :o

Just kidding :D . I know what you mean, and I've read the same. I think Bruce mentioned in his book that they would call for Tony only to find him still in bed!.

Cliff
Teflon

Postby RayL » 19 Jul 2021, 14:09

JimN wrote: BBC mainly at the London studios (including the TV Theatre at Shepherd's Bush as well as TV Centre). There was no BBC local radio until towards the end of the 1960s and not very much from the Corporation's regional services either.

Did The Shadows record for the BBC's Overseas Service? Recordings for broadcast overseas were done by a department called Transcription Recording Unit. At that time (early '60s*), TRU were based at St Hilda's (formally a convent**) in Shirland Road, W.9, just round the corner from the BBC's Maida Vale studios in Delaware Road. St Hilda's had a number of small speech studios but I imagine that any music recording would have been done in Maida Vale.

* I was there in '63
** now a block of flats.
RayL

Postby JimN » 19 Jul 2021, 15:08

Hi, Ray,

I'm aware that The Shadows probably recorded material for BBC Radio, both domestic and overseas, later in the 1960s (eg, all that material from the "Jigsaw" and "FHB,B&J" LPs as well as the Thunderbirds EP) at Maida Vale. Whether they were doing that as early as the time that Tony was still them, seems less certain.

If it had happened, we'd probably all be aware of "live in the BBC studio" recordings from 1960s and 1961 circulating among collectors. But there's nothing of that sort apart from the material for Easy Beat, Saturday Club and of course, Radio Luxembourg...

Was the Easy Beat and Saturday Club material recorded at Maida Vale?
JimN

Postby GoldenStreet » 19 Jul 2021, 19:41

Studios used for such sessions in the earlier 1960s included the Piccadilly Studios and Aeolian Hall in New Bond Street.

http://www.orbem.co.uk/outsidestds/piccadilly.htm

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby Arpeggio » 20 Jul 2021, 09:30

Between 1959 and 1963 / 4 at least (with Cliff & by themselves), the Shads certainly did record many BBC Radio sessions at the Paris, Piccadilly, the Playhouse and the Aeolian Hall.
Arpeggio

Previous

Return to The Main Board