Pickwick cassettes with jumbled tracks

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Re: Pickwick cassettes with jumbled tracks

Postby drakula63 » 09 Jun 2021, 14:43

iefje wrote:
drakula63 wrote:Somewhere I am sure I have the 7" edit of Equinox pt 5 and Fender Bender on CD, but I can't remember where and a quick glance through the CDs hasn't revealed them. Maybe I was mistaken. Hopefully if the Complete Shadows 1980-1990 ever comes out, it will indeed contain everything (of value). Until then, just have to make do with a bit here and a bit there and a fist-full of CDs...

The edited single version of "Equinoxe (Part V)" can be found on the 1998 UK CD "Guardian Angel...Plus" and the 2001 Norwegian CD "Kon-Tiki - De Beste 1960-1980". "Fender Bender" has been issued on the 1989 UK CD "The Shadows Collection" (also part of the 1990 3 CD box "A Special Collection"), the 1992 UK 3 CD box "The Shadows Complete" and the 1998 UK CD "Shadstrax".

Thanks. To be honest, I don't think I've actually got ANY of the CDs or CD sets mentioned! I must be imagining things! I must have at least Fender Bender on a bootleg, as I'm sure I've heard it recently. There's such a dizzying array of compilations with similar sounding names and I have a few of those. Anyway, I think I might grab a cheap copy of The Shadows Collection CD off ebay. Seems the best bet.
drakula63

Postby JimN » 09 Jun 2021, 14:48

drakula63 wrote:I can understand why compilations and collections can't include everything, but when a specific album is released on CD (such as Change of Address) it's a bit cheeky not to include any relevant bonus tracks, such as single edits or single b-sides. I'm sure they lose sales this way. When I heard that CoA was coming out again on CD in 2012 I was fully expecting Fender Bender to be on it. When this was not the case, I didn't bother to buy it. I already had the Polydor CD, which was identical. So they lost a sale. Obviously my non-purchase was felt and noted, as when they released Life in the Jungle, it had the non-album b-sides as extras. And I bought that!

Somewhere I am sure I have the 7" edit of Equinox pt 5 and Fender Bender on CD, but I can't remember where and a quick glance through the CDs hasn't revealed them. Maybe I was mistaken. Hopefully if the Complete Shadows 1980-1990 ever comes out, it will indeed contain everything (of value). Until then, just have to make do with a bit here and a bit there and a fist-full of CDs...

Equinoxe Pt V (7" edit) was included - at my suggestion, in collaboration with Rob Bradford - on the 1998 See For Miles CD "Guardian Angel ... plus" (SEECD 679). Obviously, this is now deleted.

Fender Bender has been made available on the following releases (vinyl and CD):

1. Single B-side 45 Polydor (UK) POSP 148
2. "The Shadows Collection" LP Pickwick/Contour (UK) CN 2104
3. "The Shadows Collection" CD Pickwick (UK) PWKS 559
4. "Complete" CDx3 Polytel (UK) 513 449-2
5. "Shadstrax" CD See For Miles (UK) SEECD 494.
JimN

Postby Iain Purdon » 09 Jun 2021, 17:05

Of those, I would recommend “Shadstrax”

It’s strictly Shadows compositions, no covers.
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby drakula63 » 09 Jun 2021, 18:05

When I went to see the Shadows at the Manchester Apollo in October 1980, my first ever gig, I bought the Equinox pt 5 single at a record shop... thus Fender Bender became the second Polydor era Shads track that I heard. One of my friends definitely had the Shadstrax CD and I heard it a few times at his place.
drakula63

Postby drakula63 » 13 Jun 2021, 09:34

3. "The Shadows Collection" CD Pickwick (UK) PWKS 559

Got a mint/sealed copy off ebay yesterday, played it last night. Good compilation. I enjoyed it and it was great to hear Fender Bender again after so long. I noticed a couple of things 1) Johnny Staccato was faded out. 2) Some of the b-sides (and album tracks) could easily have been A-sides. 3) Some of the tunes composed by the Shads were so strong that I reckon, if they'd added lyrics/vocals, they could have been hits. Anyway... great stuff.
drakula63

Previous

Return to The Main Board