M, W & F At The BBC - Bites The Dust.

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

M, W & F At The BBC - Bites The Dust.

Postby Arpeggio » 10 Jun 2021, 10:34

Sad to report...after everyone's efforts (Especially thanks to Jim Nugent). The proposed M, W & F is already dead in the water. Sadly, it IS (as I mentioned previously - all down to money. Both Warner Music and the BBC have copyrights on the tracks. NEITHER organisation will ever release them undertheir own auspices, purely because they do not believe that they can make any money on such a project. Hence, financially, it is simply not worth them bothering as they see it. But, it also causes a BIG problem for potential genuine reissue companies - such as Cherry Red. I was told privately that they were very encouraged by the feedback they received and that, yes, perhaps 2,000 or sales MIGHT have been a risk worth taking....IF..they only had to pay Licensing Fees to EITHER Warner Music OR to the BBC....but they would have to pay BOTH organisations....which would have made the whole project too risky financially. So near, yet so far. Record Companies are not charities...so vast corporate financial policies strike again!!!!! :( :evil:
Arpeggio

Re: M, W & F At The BBC - Bites The Dust.

Postby iefje » 10 Jun 2021, 13:04

I guess the only option is to wait until the recordings are out of copyright and let Dusty Tapes issue the set. In any case, thank you to everyone who has tried to make this album release happen.
iefje

Re: M, W & F At The BBC - Bites The Dust.

Postby Iain Purdon » 11 Jun 2021, 11:21

Maybe the name MWF on its own is judged commercially inadequate - and their reforming as the Shadows suggests they thought so too - but I wonder if the BBC would think it worth releasing compilation CDs. There will be studio recordings of many artistes in their vaults (or file servers?) A standout MWF song could be included in something like that.

Studio Hits from the BBC or some such? There could be a whole series if the idea took off.
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Return to The Main Board