Brian Bennett work with Elaine Delmar

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Brian Bennett work with Elaine Delmar

Postby UlrichS » 26 Apr 2021, 21:57

Hi all,

On page 331 of the book "The Mood Modern" about the kpm Music Recorded Library I found the information that Brian Bennett "played on recordings of Ella Fitzgerald, Georgie Fame, Bruce Forsyth, Dennis Waterman, Elaine Delmar and many others."
I know all of them except Elaine Delmar. My guess is "Elaine Delmar" (1973, MCA Records ‎– MUPS 494) but that is just a guess.
Does anybody know on what Elaine Delmar album Brian is playing - probably the drums?

Any help is very welcome, many thanks in advance.

Ulrich
UlrichS

Re: Brian Bennett work with Elaine Delmar

Postby JimN » 26 Apr 2021, 23:45

All I can tell you is that Elaine was (and probably still is) a great, stylish, singer of the standard songbook.

She was quite often seen on British TV as a guest artiste on variety shows, etc.

I don't know about the recordings though.
JimN

Postby GoldenStreet » 27 Apr 2021, 01:55

JimN wrote:All I can tell you is that Elaine was (and probably still is) a great, stylish, singer of the standard songbook.

The lady's next live appearance is scheduled for Sunday, 30th May, at the Radlett Centre, Radlett. Wonder if a well known local drummer could also be in attendance!

https://www.elainedelmar.com/

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby RayL » 27 Apr 2021, 14:33

Slightly off-topic, Elaine Delmar (then Elaine Hutchinson) went to Trinity Grammar School in Wood Green, Middlesex (as it was then) in the 1950s.
I started there a few years later.
Ray
RayL

Postby UlrichS » 01 May 2021, 15:48

Hi Phil,

Many, many thanks for your efforts.

My quote comes from the part of that book where the start of the group WASP is told. The introduction of the members includes this sentence.
The chapter about Brian Bennett reads in full:
"Brian Bennett (drums) had been an important figure on Britain's nascent rock 'n' roll scene. In 1957, he's joined Marty Wilde's group The Wildcats, who would back Gene Vincetn and Eddie Cochran on their 1960 British tour, and in 1961 he became member of Cliff Richard's group The Shadows. Brian toured the world with The Shadows and his signature drum sound featured on their sequence of hits; he also wrote the mega hit Summer Holiday, from the film of the same name starring Cliff and his group. Following a stint as Cliff Richard's musical director, the early '70s marked the beginning of Brian's session career, in which capacity he played on recordings by Ella Fitzgerald, Georgie Fame, Bruce Forsyth, Dennis Waterman, Elaine Delmar and many others."
The MCA album by Elaine Delmar was the only possible one as her other ones from this period have named accompaniments.
My conclusion: Either the source from which Oliver Lomas, the author of this book, was not correct or Nick Ingman has ungrounded doubts. :D :D :D :D
Perhaps the long announced Brian Bennett biography will clear this up.

The Salena Jones album "This 'n' That" (RCA, LPL1 5025, April 1974) is in my collection. Many thanks for mention it.

It is always astonishing for me on how many albums mainly in the 1970s Brian Bennett has contributed either as drummer, as producer, as musical director or as arranger. A very busy manin that period.

Again many thanks for help.

Best wishes,
Ulrich
UlrichS

Return to The Main Board