Move It Lead Guitar

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Move It Lead Guitar

Postby Teflon » 26 Apr 2021, 21:58

I know Hank & co didn't play on Move It, so it's not strictly "Shadows", but does anyone here know what guitar; effects etc Ernie Shears used on Move It? It's always struck me that he got pretty close to the early Shads sound whilst Hank & Bruce were still toiling away at the 2is.

Cliff
Teflon

Re: Move It Lead Guitar

Postby JimN » 26 Apr 2021, 23:42

I once did a telephone interview with Ernie, which was published (after some adaptation to the "house style") in Guitarist magazine.

Ernie told me that for Move It, he used a Hofner President (a cutaway acoustic archtop with a solid pine table), plus a DeArmond pickup (either the "Guitar Mike" FH-C model or the "Rhythm Chief" model 1000). The pickup was fitted to the guitar with the supplied slide-rod attachment (known in the trade as "The Monkey On A Stick").

The unit was slid down to the bridge end of its travel for a treble tone, and had to be supported from th underside by jamming in a pencil eraser. The amp was a Fender Deluxe. That'd be a tweed model from the 1950s (of course) and little to do with the Fender Deluxe reverb as we know it today.

Guitarist magazine found a picture taken as a (later?) Cliff session with Ernie playing a Hofner Committee and so changed that word in my report (!!). But Ernie definitely said it was a President on the Move It session.

So... Hofner president... DeArmond detachable pickup... Fender Deluxe.
JimN

Postby Gary Allen » 27 Apr 2021, 08:20

Gary Allen

Postby Teflon » 27 Apr 2021, 11:09

Thanks both, some amazing info there. I've searched Google in the past for info regarding Ernie Shears, but never been able to find much at all - this site really is a gold mine :) .

Thanks again,

Cliff
Teflon

Postby dave robinson » 27 Apr 2021, 11:11

I acquired a 1959 Hofner President five years ago and fitted DeArmond pickups.
The sound of Move it is unmistakable using the bridge pickup. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Teflon » 27 Apr 2021, 12:00

dave robinson wrote:I acquired a 1959 Hofner President five years ago and fitted DeArmond pickups.
The sound of Move it is unmistakable using the bridge pickup. :)

I'd love to hear it if you could record it some time. Whenever I hear Move It, I can't help "seeing it" played on a Strat, even though I know full well it wasn't. In much the same way, I just can't envisage the bass part being played on an upright. I think it's because for much of my earlier years, I always assumed it was Hank & co on the original recording.

Cliff
Teflon

Postby Gary Allen » 27 Apr 2021, 12:14

Speaking of Move It,this version is 1970 yet they split up in 1968,nice guitar work from Hank yet no sign of Bruce.....???
https://youtu.be/OdkQm1_hzDI
Gary Allen

Postby GoldenStreet » 27 Apr 2021, 12:36

Gary Allen wrote:Speaking of Move It,this version is 1970 yet they split up in 1968,nice guitar work from Hank yet no sign of Bruce.....???
https://youtu.be/OdkQm1_hzDI

Bruce was otherwise occupied at that time, replaced on piano by Alan Hawkshaw, with Hank missing his cue for the mimed performance!

Bill
GoldenStreet

Return to The Main Board